Did you mean: 

Call divert while abroad

Mark_Leeds
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi guys,

I wonder if any of you could answer the following question.

I have an e-sim with O2, I want to unconditionally divert calls to another number (also on O2) while I’m in the UK and then go on holiday to the Philippines, I would not use the O2 line while I’m out there to make either calls or send texts. I would however receive texts. What charges would I expect? 

O2 are telling me that I’ll be charged for every call that diverts or I’ll incur the ‘Rest of the World’ charge of £7.50 per day or £75 per 30 days.

The reason I query it is because I’ve been away before and diverts have remained in place without being charged, the only difference is that I then had a physical sim that I took out of the phone upon arrival in the Philippines (the SIM remained in my phone throughout the flight and connection in HK, so it’d have registered it was outside of the UK, if that makes sense).

Any comments would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Leeds
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for all that have taken the time to reply.

Having spoken to O2 again, they say I'll be charged for diverting calls so it appears that I'll have to take out a package that allows me to divert calls if I want to receive texts! Seems odd if I set the unconditional divert while in the UK (to another UK phone) that I'm charged as it the call comes through to the Philippines before being diverted!

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144417 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Mark_Leeds 

eSim works in the same way as a physical sim so there would be no difference from what you've seen previously.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

Mark_Leeds
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I think the issue is that O2 are telling me I'll be charged, my experience in the past was that I wasn't. In saying that the physical sim wasn't in my phone while I was abroad.

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 144417 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Mark_Leeds 

I'll ask @O2Georgina to get clarity for you.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

O2Georgina
  • 387 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 13 Solutions

@MI5  Thanks for the tag

@Mark_Leeds  I will send you a private message now

signature
Message 5 of 8

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6610 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

Can you not turn the eSim off? Effectively the same thing as removing a physical SIM

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 144417 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Enlli wrote:

Can you not turn the eSim off? Effectively the same thing as removing a physical SIM

OP still wants to receive texts.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 8

Mark_Leeds
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for all that have taken the time to reply.

Having spoken to O2 again, they say I'll be charged for diverting calls so it appears that I'll have to take out a package that allows me to divert calls if I want to receive texts! Seems odd if I set the unconditional divert while in the UK (to another UK phone) that I'm charged as it the call comes through to the Philippines before being diverted!

Message 8 of 8