cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Burnt by new Galaxy Note 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

To cut a long story short I plugged my Note 4 into the fast charger about 2 weeks ago and 30 seconds later I started to see smoke from the charger port, pulled out the lead immediately and proceeded to burn my finger.

I spoke to my retailer and they said no problem it is less than 28 days old so we will swap it.  I spoke to Samsung because I remember a Watchdog piece about the S4 getting to hot so this is not the first time they have had overheating deviced, they said they wanted it back directly.

Well it is 10 days later and Samsung couldn't be less helpful, the matter has been passed to their Product Liability department who are clearly more worried about how do we not get sued than worried about addressing a terrible user experience.

I now can't contact my online retailer because their phone lines have a 30 minute plus wait time (I can make a quick call at work but not that long) and they are not responding to emails.

So here I am with a 2 year contract and a faulty phone.  What are my options?

I can screem and shout on the open forums about the problem but will they care?

No win no fee for the injuries, a nasty little burnt is probably not worth a lot but I am seriously iritated by they way they treat people.

Also can I cancel my O2 contract?  

Thoughts a suggestions please ...

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply as well Bambino.

You have just raised an interesting point in a round about way when you say that I only have an airtime contract with O2.  I didn't pay upfront for my Note 4 handset but somebody did, if it was O2 financing the handset then O2 are jointly responsible for the quality of the product.

The question then is, who paid for my handset?  I didn't I just signed a contract with a retailer but someone paid for it and that someone shares the liability.  Anyone know who funds phones that are bought via 3rd parties?

Message 11 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

I too had an issue with Samsung due to a fault with a Galaxy Note 2.

Any correspondence send to uk.execoffice@samsung.com as found these most helpful.

ADVICE - if you need to call Samsung customer services on their 0330 number, select secret option 6 to bypass the unbearable first line support.

Good luck

Message 12 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

My fast charger was 2A.

We have 2 of Samsung's Tab 3 tablets as well and all come with detachable little white USB leads and I think they may have got mixed up.  The reason I say this is I suspect that the Tab 3 USB leads can't handle the extra current of the fast charger.  

That said if it is the case that the kids have mixed up the leads then the fact that Samsung leads can't be interchanged without the risk of injury or fire, but they all look the same, would be a particularly troubling affair.

Message 13 of 24

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23050 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for your reply as well Bambino.

You have just raised an interesting point in a round about way when you say that I only have an airtime contract with O2.  I didn't pay upfront for my Note 4 handset but somebody did, if it was O2 financing the handset then O2 are jointly responsible for the quality of the product.

The question then is, who paid for my handset?  I didn't I just signed a contract with a retailer but someone paid for it and that someone shares the liability.  Anyone know who funds phones that are bought via 3rd parties?

I may be wrong, and I am happy to stand corrected if I am, but as far as I'm aware, your contract for the phone is through mobiles.co.uk, and it would fall under their terms and conditions for returns and repairs.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 14 of 24

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93192 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It most certainly  isn't a refresh contract so mobiles.co.uk are responsible as the supplier.

Message 15 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think they may have got mixed up.   

I wouldn't be telling mobiles.co.uk or Samsung that! They will blame you for the damage being caused and charge you for the repair!

Message 16 of 24

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Sorry to hear about this Mark!

Let us know how you get on with the problem.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 17 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not a chance of being billed if the leads got mixed up.

If that is the case then what they are saying the little white detachable lead that comes with the Samsung Note 4 and the little white detachable lead that comes with the Samsung Tab 3 are not interchangeable and if you do interchange them you risk personal injury or fire.

Considering they sell a childrens version of the Tab 3 I think it would be very unwise for them to suggest something so silly.  Can you imagine the consequences of that when the first child gets burnt?

Anyway they haven't said that and I am sure the leads are interchangeable because they wouldn't be that silly as to make a danagerous product or at least I hope they wouldn't be as silly.

Message 18 of 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144225 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27636 Solutions
All leads will carry much more than 2 amps quite safely.
This issue is been influenced by a fault somewhere else either in the phone or charging plug.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 24

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
It's not the lead as the connector has the damage, if the lead were at fault the burn would have happened in the actual cable.
Message 20 of 24