cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Burnt by new Galaxy Note 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

To cut a long story short I plugged my Note 4 into the fast charger about 2 weeks ago and 30 seconds later I started to see smoke from the charger port, pulled out the lead immediately and proceeded to burn my finger.

I spoke to my retailer and they said no problem it is less than 28 days old so we will swap it.  I spoke to Samsung because I remember a Watchdog piece about the S4 getting to hot so this is not the first time they have had overheating deviced, they said they wanted it back directly.

Well it is 10 days later and Samsung couldn't be less helpful, the matter has been passed to their Product Liability department who are clearly more worried about how do we not get sued than worried about addressing a terrible user experience.

I now can't contact my online retailer because their phone lines have a 30 minute plus wait time (I can make a quick call at work but not that long) and they are not responding to emails.

So here I am with a 2 year contract and a faulty phone.  What are my options?

I can screem and shout on the open forums about the problem but will they care?

No win no fee for the injuries, a nasty little burnt is probably not worth a lot but I am seriously iritated by they way they treat people.

Also can I cancel my O2 contract?  

Thoughts a suggestions please ...

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I'm sorry to hear of your experience.

It's a shame you didn't accept the swap to a new replacement from o2.

Now it's with the manufacturer I can only suggest contacting their Customers services dept again by phone and or any available e mail contact to push for a resolution.

They will want whatever they call a reasonable time to carry out diagnostics on the phone and charger I expect.

If your on a Refresh Tariff you can cancel the contract by paying off the handset plan and speak to customer services on 202 to cancel the airtime part.

As the phone is in limbo right now I suspect that's not what your wanting to do.

O2 only fully quash contracts in exceptional circumstances which part of that we've heard is for you to return the handset.

O2 no longer have a working email address but O2 do have a complaints link at the foot of this forum page that you can use to put across your thoughts on the situation.

We are all customers here like you. I wouldn't want to even try advising you on any legal action apart from if you feel so inclined their are legal firms you can contact and Citizens Advice Bureaus to speak to.

Did you take photographic evidence of the phone / charger to perhaps show any damage and photographic evidence of the injury and any witnesses.

Please let us know how you get on.
Message 2 of 24

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

If you're on a Refresh contract, the advice given to you to pay off your handset to cancel is not a good idea. All that would do is put you out of pocket for the cost of the device having had it sent off for repair through no fault of your own. You'd then have no contract, and no phone. 

It doesn't, however, sound like that's the case here. You say you spoke to the retailer when this first happened. Who is the retailer?

If the device is still with Samsung, your only course of action at the moment would seem to be to keep on at them. If they can't repair the device, they should supply you with a new one. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 24

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I agree. The problem  is that the phone is with Samsung and I'm afraid you need to keep pushing. Like all national companies there will be a complaints produce on their website.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/info/contactus.html

Message 4 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry but there is a misunderstanding.  

I still have the handset because Samsung couldn't even get to the collection point with me.

The retailer (mobiles.co.uk) initially offered the swap but Samsung said they wanted the phone back direct and I agreed.  In hindsight I shouldn't have bothered trying to be helpful and just let Samsung pickup the phone through the normal returns channel.

So, in summary, I still have a faulty Note 4 handset.

Oh and yes I have photo's here is what a burnt micro USB lead looks like.  The burning came through on the left hand side as you look at it, not very dramatic but the heat was and so was seeing smoke from my lovely new phone. 

Note 4 lead close up.jpg

Message 5 of 24

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I would be looking for a Samsung repair centre then. Some are incorporated within the larger CPW stores.

Message 6 of 24

Bambino
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Okay. Now we're a bit clearer about this. Unfortunately, your problem is with both mobiles.co.uk and with Samsung. All you have with O2 is the airtime part of the contract, which you are still liable to pay. O2 has no other obligation to you in respect of this problem. You've gone past the point of being able to cancel both. 

I presume you still have the sim card that came with the phone. As you have an airtime contract with O2, you can use that sim in a different phone. I suggest you keep trying the retailer to explain your situation, and also Samsung. There isn't much else anyone here could advise you to do.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the replies Jonsie.

I am not accepting a repair on this device after what it did. I may have to accept a replacement but I hope the retailer will agree to replace it with a different brand.

The fault was reported inside 28 days so I know I am entitled to a new unit but like I say I am at the point were I really don't want a Samsung product.
Message 8 of 24

Bambino
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

You will have to deal with the mobiles.co.uk policy on returns. As said, you will still have to pay the O2 airtime. Whatever is wrong with the phone, or whichever phone you use is not O2's concern. Hope you get this sorted out.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 24

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Sad to hear. I and others on here have had no problems with the Note 4. I think I will be researching this a little more.

Out of interest what amphr  was the fast charger?

Message 10 of 24