cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug in myO2 website costs me £10!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 4 different mobile phone accounts for the family that are all linked to the same account in myO2.

I cancelled my auto top-up for one of the phone numbers yesterday as I had decided to transfer that
phone number over to a giffgaff account. But this morning my phone was topped up by £10 automatically!
I checked my email and I have confirmation that the auto topup was cancelled, so what happened?

Well, I contacted O2 via the online chat and they told me no cancellation had been received and they refused to refund me.

Now I remember when I cancelled the auto top-up being confused by seeing a message which said ""the mobile number we have for you is 'nnnnn'" which was one of my numbers but not the one I was trying to cancel.

So I went back through the login sequence again making sure I had selected the correct phone number.
Again, it was this other number which was shown in the message. I repeated this for all my other numbers with the same result.  So I came to the conclusion that it was just because I have several numbers linked and the "main" contact number was the one being listed in the message.

However, it now turns out that this "main" number HAS had its auto top-up cancelled and so the cancellation was applied incorrectly, there appears to be no way via the website of updating the auto top-up on any number other than this "main" one.

In case you read this and think I'm just being stupid, this is the sequence of events I followed. The problem is repeatable everytime:

1. Login to myO2
- I am presented with a list of 4 phone numbers linked to this account under the heading "My O2 Products and Services"

2. I select the number whose auto top-up I want to change.
- I am correctly shown the details and balance for the selected phone number.

3. I select "Top up your mobile"
- The bottom line of the message on the next page says "The O2 mobile number we have for you is: nnnnn", where nnnn is not the number I selected to topup but is one of my numbers (always the same one).

This is clearly a bug in the website as there appears to be no way of updating the auto top-up details for any of the other numbers.  

As a result of this bug I am now £10 out of pocket.  I clearly did not want today's top-up to happen as I have just requested that number be transferred to giffgaff!

Hopefully somebody from O2 will be along to investigate and refund me my £10 shortly.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Circumvent live chat and speak to uk customer services by phone. They should be able to help better than live chat who are non uk outsourced Callcentres.

o2 Customer Services Link http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Circumvent live chat and speak to uk customer services by phone. They should be able to help better than live chat who are non uk outsourced Callcentres.

o2 Customer Services Link http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
Message 2 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If cs won't help you lodge a complaint, but try cs again first.....
http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain
http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous were you able to raise this with CS?  Remember this is a customer forum, and that if you need assistance with your account you may need to contact an O2 Advisor. Here you can find help from other customers about devices, O2 products and services ...  but everything is account related you'll have to raise it directly with CS. Hope this helps. If you need more info or help don't hesitate to send me a PM.

Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the replies everyone, sorry for not responding earlier, I've just come off the phone with customer services and they have agreed to refund the auto topic.
I also noticed that the bug has now been fixed and the page now makes it much clearer which device you are currently managing which I think is a big improvement.
Message 5 of 8

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

MI5
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Good to hear they listened to you slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good news! Thanks for updating us.
Message 8 of 8