Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous
Accepted Solution

Breach of contract

I'm 86.    If I start a 2 year contract with o2 and die after 2 months, am I in breach of contract?     Would my executor be expected to pay any o/s charges such as remaining 22 months at say £18 a month ie £396?

Level 25: Hard Hitter

Re: Breach of contract

Good question, I'd like to think no but after a death all bills have to be paid to settle your estate. Might be worth a asking @Martin-O2 or @Toby if they've any input.
Level 25: Hard Hitter

I should've also said, don't worry you've got at least a couple of decades left in you yet 😉👍😁
Topics: 580
Solutions: 4,249

No don't worry about it. If you are unfortunate enough to die, your executor/next of kin needs to contact the bereavement team at O2 who will cancel the contract. If a phone is part of the contract it may have to be returned. No one will be liable for anything but O2 will want a copy of the death certificate.
Topics: 571
Solutions: 15,895

No, legally any contracts die if the person does.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Topics: 113

@MI5 wrote:
No, legally any contracts die if the person does.

Any costs incurred up to the date of death must be covered by the estate but as MI5 says, the contract is voided at that point.

This applies to all contracts eg electricity, gas, water, BT/Sky telephone landline not just mobile phone contracts.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Topics: 580
Solutions: 4,249

@gindygoo wrote:
Good question, I'd like to think no but after a death all bills have to be paid to settle your estate. Might be worth a asking @Martin-O2 or @Toby if they've any input.

You will have to shout very loud to get any response from @Toby 😉

Anonymous

@MercedesS might be a better suggestion 

Anonymous

Thank you to everyone who replied.   I feel re-assured.   I don't expect to be pushing up the daisies anytime yet but don't want to leave bills for my executor son, if avoidable.     

Topics: 571
Solutions: 15,895

We hope to have you around for years to come Smiley Happy
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)