cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breach of contract

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm 86.    If I start a 2 year contract with o2 and die after 2 months, am I in breach of contract?     Would my executor be expected to pay any o/s charges such as remaining 22 months at say £18 a month ie £396?

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi guys, 

O2 has a dedicated team in place who are fully trained to help with any accounts where the account holder is terminally ill or has passed away. Each account is looked at on a case-by-case and individual basis, where available options may range from terminating the account to transferring it to someone else. 

You can find more info, along with contact information here

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Good question, I'd like to think no but after a death all bills have to be paid to settle your estate. Might be worth a asking @Martin-O2 or @Toby if they've any input.
Message 2 of 13

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
I should've also said, don't worry you've got at least a couple of decades left in you yet 😉👍😁
Message 3 of 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
No don't worry about it. If you are unfortunate enough to die, your executor/next of kin needs to contact the bereavement team at O2 who will cancel the contract. If a phone is part of the contract it may have to be returned. No one will be liable for anything but O2 will want a copy of the death certificate.
Message 4 of 13

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No, legally any contracts die if the person does.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 13

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
No, legally any contracts die if the person does.

Any costs incurred up to the date of death must be covered by the estate but as MI5 says, the contract is voided at that point.

This applies to all contracts eg electricity, gas, water, BT/Sky telephone landline not just mobile phone contracts.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 6 of 13

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@gindygoo wrote:
Good question, I'd like to think no but after a death all bills have to be paid to settle your estate. Might be worth a asking @Martin-O2 or @Toby if they've any input.

You will have to shout very loud to get any response from @Toby 😉

Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MercedesS might be a better suggestion 

Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you to everyone who replied.   I feel re-assured.   I don't expect to be pushing up the daisies anytime yet but don't want to leave bills for my executor son, if avoidable.     

Message 9 of 13

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
We hope to have you around for years to come slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 13