cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand New Customers Only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm 14 months into a 24 month contract.  I pay £21 for unlimited calls and texts and 3Gb of data.  I often hit my limit before my bill date.

I saw on the o2 web site yesterday they had a tariff for £20 that includes 10Gb of data so I called and asked to change my tariff and was told that I could only do it if I paid up the current contract and started again.  The best he could do was 5Gb for £25

I'll admit, I was a bit nonplussed.  I thought you could change tariff if you wanted or needed to.  Is it right/true that this much cheaper tariff is only available to new customers?  I've been with o2 since they were BT Cellnet.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

A more cost effective way of doing this next tme would be to buy a phone and go month to months SIM only.

An expensive lesson.

Message 11 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144157 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
That's just unfortunate that a new tariff has been released.
I'm on 8gb and at full price that was £28 a month when I took it out.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 21

MI5
  • 144157 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@madasaf1sh wrote:

o2 will only allow you to move to a more expensive tariff, and dont allow downgrade of tarif, this has been the case for at least the past 3 or 4 years, and is also in your T&C's that you read and agreed to when you signed up to o2. 

I don't believe the OP is asking to downgrade?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 13 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Indeed, if I'd been offered 10Gb for £25 I would have paid it because I understand the concept of the loss leader but such a huge difference in price for data leads me to believe that they don't care about their longstanding customers.

Message 14 of 21

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions
Hi @MI5,

Paying less to get more is seen as a downgrade of tariff by the o2.

So the op wanting to pay just £1 less for more is seen as a downgrade in monetary terms.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 15 of 21

MI5
  • 144157 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
The question has nothing to do with downgrading at all.
It's an offer that is only available to new or upgrading contracts.
If your reasoning was correct, I would be able to "upgrade" to it from my £14 a month tariff, but I can't either.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122808 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
The question has nothing to do with downgrading at all.
It's an offer that is only available to new or upgrading contracts.
If your reasoning was correct, I would be able to "upgrade" to it from my £14 a month tariff, but I can't either.

Well thanks for the confirmation @MI5. I admit I was getting rather confused! Confused

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 21

MI5
  • 144157 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
No need for confusion, it's very straightforward really wink

Currently using:
Message 18 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122808 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
No need for confusion, it's very straightforward really wink

I thought so...which is why i said what I did in my previous post on here...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 21

MI5
  • 144157 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
We'll be getting people on 1gb/£10 tariffs complaining they can't upgrade next !

Currently using:
Message 20 of 21