Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bolt on, abroad

Lisbon
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Last month I was planning a trip to Lisbon so I checked in store regarding charges when in Europe. "No problem, you can your phone just like being at home". As a low data user (1GB) allowance I decided to add a bolt on of an extra 2 GB. Arriving in Lisbon and on receiving the welcome roaming messages I found I could not access data for my 5 day trip. Checked phone settings regularly and they were fine. I decided to rely on my wife's phone, (also O2) as she had no problem, so although frustrated left it at that.

On my return, I called O2 to tell them what happened. Customer services told me my phone was only 4G compatible and the signal in Lisbon was 5G, hence no connection. This was news to me. I did not see any warning when I signed up for the bolt on. Customer services rep said in as many words "hard luck, read the small print". When asked in store as mentioned above, I wasn't told that either. Eventually, I was told I would be refunded. I've just checked my bill and alas that isn't the case. As I work 12 hour day shifts it is not easy to call in store, so until then I thought I would post this for any feedback. Disappointed overall. I'm not allowed to use my phone at work and I am unlikely to use the bolt on before it expires, so feel money wasted.

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35052 Posts
  • 222 Topics
  • 1557 Solutions

Did you have your phone's Roaming Data enabled, @Lisbon? Had that setting to enable on my son's phone in Spain for him to get 4G+ data.

As for 5G in Lisbon, yes, Lisbon only recently had 5G rolled out, but also in 2018 got praise for the 4G coverage available in that city - so I suspect your phone just was not set to use roaming data, which is why you never got to use your 1GB of tariff data or your additional 2GB of bolt-on data. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35052 Posts
  • 222 Topics
  • 1557 Solutions

Did you have your phone's Roaming Data enabled, @Lisbon? Had that setting to enable on my son's phone in Spain for him to get 4G+ data.

As for 5G in Lisbon, yes, Lisbon only recently had 5G rolled out, but also in 2018 got praise for the 4G coverage available in that city - so I suspect your phone just was not set to use roaming data, which is why you never got to use your 1GB of tariff data or your additional 2GB of bolt-on data. 

Message 2 of 3

Lisbon
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for that.  I feel that I did have everything set correctly and even double checked. I have just checked my phone now and data roaming is on so hasn't changed that since my return. I have chatted since to O2 who said the request for a refund and the time of my account update may have been missed. It should appear on my next statement. My phone is an Alcatel 1 5033X. As a low user it does what I need. Checked the spec and it is unclear whether it is 5G compatible so is there something in this ?? Anyway, I will have a longer conversation in the store before my next European trip.

Message 3 of 3