Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Bolt-On Q: Web v Wi-Fi

Hey,

I'm due an upgrade but until I can afford to take the hit for either the N97 or iphone, I'm moving onto simplicity. On the £20 600mins/1200txts tariff, I get the choice of bolt-on. Anyway enough chitter, can someone who knows more than I do about this please tell me the difference between the unlimited web bolt-on and the unlimited wi-fi one? The handset I will be using it in will be the Sony Ericsson T700 (3G).

Cheers, sheepbaabaa x
Topics: 247
Solutions: 1,614

The web bolt-on means you can connect to the web anywhere you can get a mobile network signal.

For wi-fi you need to have access to a wi-fi hotspot which may be chargeable or free, possibly in a cafe, pub or restaurant, or if you have a wireless router at home for broadband you can get on-line with that for nothing.

Provided of course that your phone has wi-fi, which I don't think yours has.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Anonymous

Thank you, that's what I suspected but it's always nice to hear it from someone else!
Anonymous

Bolt on

Forgive me if this appears a simple question, but what then is the benefit of a wi-fi bolt on? Do you mean that it is only useful if you are out of the normal O2 network signal?
Anonymous

Re: Bolt on

Forgive me if this appears a simple question, but what then is the benefit of a wi-fi bolt on? Do you mean that it is only useful if you are out of the normal O2 network signal?

The benefit of a wifi bolt-on is if you regularly use the chargeable wi-fi networks The Cloud and BT Openzone, who o2 have charging agreements with. If you never use these and only use free hotspots the wi-fi bolt-on is a pointless waste of money.Smiley Happy

SV
Anonymous

So if you are in a Cloud/BT Openzone area and don't have wi-fi bolt on, can you still connect via your own o2 contract sim for free with the unlimited web bolt-on? Sorry just want to clarify before I rack up a huge bill!x
Topics: 247
Solutions: 1,614

Correct! Smiley Happy
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Highlighted
Anonymous

So if you are in a Cloud/BT Openzone area and don't have wi-fi bolt on, can you still connect via your own o2 contract sim for free with the unlimited web bolt-on? Sorry just want to clarify before I rack up a huge bill!x

If you've got the web bolt-on can surf to your heart's content on the o2 data network.

You can connect to free wifi hotspots. If you try to connect to a paid one you'll get warning messages and sign-up instructions first, so you can't accidentally run up a bill for wifi usage.

SV