Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking "unknown" callers from voicemail

2nick
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I couldn't find a category relevant enough to put this topic in, but I'm on pay as you go, so it's the nearest category I could guess.

I've blocked "uknown"/withheld callers from phoning me on my phone, however, that doesn't stop the voicemail service from enabling them to leave a message.  It seems to block other people in my block list (or perhaps it doesn't even do that, but no blocked callers have left voicemails), just, that one obstacle, completely blocking unknowns yet keeping my voicemail activated for known callers.

I don't even think there's an option on the 901 voicemail service for blocking unknown callers and realise that numbers blocked on my phone aren't necessarily communicated back to the network, but if that's the case, then even people that have been blocked would be able to leave voicemails.. I wonder how this all works technically.

But basically, I'd just love to block unknown callers completely.. is there a way to do this?

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

2nick
  • 8 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I just did an experiment here and discovered that even if I block a known number (my landline number in this case), o2 voicemail STILL goes ahead and lets me leave a message.. I'm just wondering if there's any way o2 could add some part to their service that enables the customer to upload numbers that don't want to be heard from, including a general "block unknown callers from voicemail" option.

How would I go about suggesting this to o2?.. just wondering if anyone out there knows.

Thanks for all the replies 

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

I don't think you can block all unknown callers from voicemail. Personally I switch voicemail off but I realise that's not really an option for everyone.

Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wish you could block witheld callers on the iphone another service o2 dont offer

Message 3 of 12

MI5
  • 144285 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
It's the iPhone that doesn't offer it, but Samsung's do slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 12

jonsie
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
It's the iPhone that doesn't offer it, but Samsung's do slight_smile

....and it works:smileyhappy:

Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know another feature Iphone doesnt have having said that im sure o2 could offer it I know I have it with virgin media and bt also offer it

Message 6 of 12

2nick
  • 8 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I have a Samsung phone, can block unknown callers, but it still allows them to leave voicemails.  Perhaps I have an older phone?, how do I obtain this service?

Message 7 of 12

MI5
  • 144285 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
What phone and what firmware is it running?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 12

2nick
  • 8 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hiya, this may sound incredibly dumb of me, but the phone has no details on it to say what model it is.. it just has "Samsung" above the screen.. it's a touch screen phone.. I got it as an upgrade when I lost my last phone a couple of years ago.. which I realise is of no help whatsoever.. I wish Samsung would have put some marking on the phone to say what one it is!

Would I be right in guessing this is more of an o2 issue than whatever model the phone is though?, as the voicemail service is on their network, or does the phone somehow communicate with the network in allowing stuff like voicemail to go ahead?

Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Two ways to tell, either remove the battery and look on the sticker plate on the phone or go into settings on the phone, scroll to the bottom 'about phone' . It will tell you in there. 

Message 10 of 12