Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Level 9: Fired up

Billing before delivering simplicity - is it normal?

Ordered simplicity sim on Saturday (26th) and on 28th received via email that my bill was ready for £15.48.
Surely I should not have to pay for a 12 month contract until I receive and am able to start using the sim?
No delivery and order status says in progress.
Is this O2 normal practice?
Anonymous

You are billed in advance by 1 month always but if ur sim don't arrive within 3 working days I would call o2

I think my real concern is the fact that they are charging when they know that you cannot use their network (not sent the sim).
Fully understand being billed a month in advance, but not being 'robbed' and charged for days when I cant use it.
Multiply this up on each new customer and it is a good revenue earner.
Obviously when ordering over the web any company wants the money before providing goods, and normally charges on despatch. O2 are the ones in control of the network and so should only issue a bill when the sim is used on the network.
Based on this system the slower O2 are at delivering the sim the more revenue they make for no work involved.
Sorry this is very poor practice and I doubt legal.
Anonymous

You always pay a month in advance. The date on the bill of service start is only going to be a day or so adrift of when you get the SIM, I'm sure if you phone O2 and ask nicely they will refund you the 50p or so.
Just be grateful you didn't choose Vodafone it would be much longer.

I like the idea of calling it P&P Smiley Wink

The point is that I placed the order on Saturday and I am charged so far for Sat, Sun, Mon, Tue and who knows if it will arrive tomorrow. Which is at least £2 (assuming 50p/day).

50p is acceptable although not necessary, and if I had a more expensive contract then it is even more unfair.

Knowing O2, I don't really expect a problem if I give them a call.

This way of charging is WRONG.
Anonymous

You are confusing the date the bill is generated with the period it covers.

The online bill states

iPhone simplicity 15 12 month 27 Jun 10 0.41
iPhone simplicity 15 12 month 28 Jun 10 - 27 Jul 10 12.77
Total tariff £13.18

These prices exclude vat so a total of £15.48
Anonymous

I see what you are saying but if they put a delay on creating the account and instead they waited 5 days to activate an account and you got your sim 2 days after you are not going to be too thrilled about this either. It is better this way because the same way as you have been billed for that 1 day you would have only had 1 day worth of minutes and if you hammered that you would get call charges so to me theres negatives either way.