Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Beware of "declined card transaction" error

A word of warning I thought I would share with everybody.

As I was eligible to a phone upgrade, I have tried to do it through online upgrade feature on O2 Shop website, and get a new iPhone 4 finally available online.

Unfortunately, every time I got to last step of the process I was being told that my credit card transaction has been declined. Although I was using my UK debit/credit card and UK postage address, I suspected that the problem was connected with my bank statement address (for which the system is asking "for security purposes") being French (where I am currently staying).

Anyway, done few trials, all ended up with mentioned error, then decided to call my bank to check if the problem is with them and why they possibly could decline my transactions.

To my greatest surprise it turned out that they authorized all those transactions - 6 of them! It was O2 upgrade system that for some reason was giving me #### saying that transactions were declined. Ough!

What's even more irritating, my bank told me that they cannot cancel those transactions (which in my opinion makes pretty good sense in their case), so I called O2 Customer Service, and was told that for some reason they cannot cancel them either! Just great!

Now it looks that I would need to watch over £1,5k go away from my bank account without any good reason, and then hope I would be reimbursed probably after another 2 weeks. Happy days.

What I would suggest then - if only you get a "transaction declined" error - check your bank account to make sure that this is really true before making another try...
Highlighted
Topics: 572
Solutions: 3,844

Credit card payments, unlike debit card payments, cannot be cancelled by the credit card company or the bank. Hopefully if the transactions are declined on O2's system, they shouldn't be able to take payment.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Isn't it just that the funds have been reserved. Presumably, there was a need to ask verification questions,because of the address, (what would be called a 'referral' in a retail transaction). Of course this isn't possible for an on-line transaction, so the sale is declined.
The money hasn't been taken, it just means the amount available to spend has been temporarily reduced. Depending on your card issuer it will be available again over the next day or so.
Highlighted
Topics: 572
Solutions: 3,844

Isn't it just that the funds have been reserved. Presumably, there was a need to ask verification questions,because of the address, (what would be called a 'referral' in a retail transaction). Of course this isn't possible for an on-line transaction, so the sale is declined.
The money hasn't been taken, it just means the amount available to spend has been temporarily reduced. Depending on your card issuer it will be available again over the next day or so.

Spot on. The credit card company cannot decline the transactions but must make the funds available for the retailer. As you say, a referral would entail the retailer ringing up for authorisation so obviously they will not have the authorisation code, as I explained in the OP's other duplicate thread.

The funds are reserved for approx 7 days and then the pending transaction 'drops off' the card companies system. Nothing is added on to the account, it just means the available funds are diminished until the said 'drop off' happens at which point full funds are again available.

On many credit card transactions, both customer and retailer may not be aware that there is more than one authorisation on a payment.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Spot on. The credit card company cannot decline the transactions but must make the funds available for the retailer. As you say, a referral would entail the retailer ringing up for authorisation so obviously they will not have the authorisation code, as I explained in the OP's other duplicate thread.
The funds are reserved for approx 7 days and then the pending transaction 'drops off' the card companies system. Nothing is added on to the account, it just means the available funds are diminished until the said 'drop off' happens at which point full funds are again available.
On many credit card transactions, both customer and retailer may not be aware that there is more than one authorisation on a payment.

Very good explanation stevy Smiley Happy

Definitely not an o2 issue, it's just the way credit cards work.