cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being charged for unwanted Data downloads. Help !

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am getting totally fed up. I am currently in France and have now been charged three times £1.99 each time for "O2 travel data" so I phoned on the supposedly free helpline (and have been charged) and apparently have to set the HSPacket data to disabled. It took me ages to fiddle around as it was greyed out, but by going to the network setting there are three options, GPRS 3G and dual, I set it to GPRS and was able then to disable the HSpacket data. I only want to use the Internet on my phone, nokia asha 302, as an emergency back up and then ONLY in a free wifi situation, never roaming. So I have set it to always check I am on a WLAN connection before Internet connecting BUT my phone seems to have a mind of its own and download stuff (?) supposedly updating apps ??? I don't want it doing this. So having set the HSPacket data to disabled, can I be assured this will stop ? ANd what about the free numbers too ??? And when there is a little E in the top screen corner, am I being charged for anything then ? And also, I downloaded a mail for messaging app, as instructed for my virginmail account and now that's not working either ! Help !

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

So with this disabled, can I still connect to free wifi in hotels/cafes successfully still ?

Message 11 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
You should be able to...
Message 12 of 23

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Could always pull the sim? If the phone loads happily without one then you'll still have access to wifi.

Can't use data if there's no sim:)
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 13 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have similar problem with a Nokia C3-01 Touch and Type which is similar to an Asha inside I think.

I'm on pay and go as I dont need it too much, but data over the phone is handy sometimes (email / google / Wiki etc). I usually top up £10 month to get the data/text package (far more than I could use).

Trouble is my credit builds up monthly so every so often I dont top up, and use the credit over the next month. BUT the damn phone still connects daily when I'm not using it and takes £1 off every day.

It's normally on Dual mode. I set the mode to 3G only to see what happened. I set packet data to OFF and it still connects without permission.

Strange thing is if you have GSM or Dual mode selected you cant change the data setting On or Off. You have to have it in 3G mode to change the setting either way.

I'm going to try it on GSM mode with packet data off to see if that still connects.

I dont know what causes it to connect via packet data when I'm not using it. Emails are manually requested and there's no active apps which update without manual intervention.

It's weird - anyone else use an old Nokia C3-01 or C3-01.5 with same problem?

I like it because it's shiny brushed metal, does data, bluetooth & WiFi: it does all I need and it isn't slab-sized in my pocket.

Until I can turn off data connection when I dont want it,  my current solution is to get data bolt-on which is £3 pm - and you don't get any inclusive Texts with that.

Ta,

Message 14 of 23

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

There are a couple of suggestions here that might help:

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Cseries/C3-01-How-to-completely-disable-all-web-access-and-more/td-p...

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 15 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi perksie - thanks for the pointer. I'm looking at those suggestions to see if it meets my needs and will test them out. As long as I don't have to delete any settings I might need when I want to connect to data at any time that sounds a good solution. Hopefully I can switch easily between the settings as required.

(ps if I left my phone on all the time it didn't automatically use data next day without asking. If I turned my phone off then on in the morning, it cased the problem by something accessing data even though any 'update' items were off)
Message 16 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
When you turn your phone on it will automatically turn mobile data on immediately before you have a chance to turn it off.
Message 17 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just turning off packet data doesnt stop it. It may stop you using packet data but it doesnt stop the phone from accessing the service while it's initialising itself (i.e. when you switch the phone on). I have found that disabling everything (as per Nokia site link above) I only have access to basic texts and calls but I still get charged for a day of data unless I leave the phone on all the time including when charging.

Message 18 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Please see my post above from 2nd Feb
Message 19 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
When you turn your phone on it will automatically turn mobile data on immediately before you have a chance to turn it off.

Unfortunately seems to be the case. Maybe it tests its connection before your default settings are applied. Combined with O2 oversensitive use detection you get charged daily minimum even for that fraction of a second.

I know the various connection-type icons blink as if in use when it's powering-up even though they are set as Off. Pehaps Nokia thought it would be useful. Wonder what happened to Nokia?

I'm now leaving the phone on all the time until I want to start using data access again under a monthly data tariff.

Message 20 of 23