Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Being charged for data im not using?

Hey, im currently being charged for a hell of a lot of data, and since i dont have extra data on my tarriff, im being charged a lot.
See, its near enough imposibble for me to be using any of this data o2 are charging me for, since i turned data trafficking off after i got as 70 pound phone bill. But even with data traffic off, im still being charged and my recent phone bill was 50 pound.
Im using a sony erricson xperia X8.
Is this happening to anyone else? If so have you fixed it in any way?
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Being charged for data im not using?

android is sneaky unless you have turned data off in network settings and disabled allow background sync some apps may be sending data behind your back
Highlighted
Anonymous

While the internet is turned on, there's a few places you can manage sneaky data usage. Settings > accounts & sync, turn off background data and auto updates, go into individual apps and turn off push notifications and auto updates there too, make sure your phone doesn't stay logged into anything for more than a few minutes after you close the app. Or make sure the app is actually closed when you're done with it, not just running in the background.
Having said that, turning off "Data traffic" in the mobile network settings should completely disable the internet connection. I would advise you to do some tests on the phone, load up some web pages and apps at a specific time of day, then turn the data off and try the same thing later on, see if you can load a detailed itemised bill for the time you did this and see when data went through and when it didn't.
Highlighted
Anonymous

While the internet is turned on, there's a few places you can manage sneaky data usage. Settings > accounts & sync, turn off background data and auto updates, go into individual apps and turn off push notifications and auto updates there too, make sure your phone doesn't stay logged into anything for more than a few minutes after you close the app. Or make sure the app is actually closed when you're done with it, not just running in the background.
Having said that, turning off "Data traffic" in the mobile network settings should completely disable the internet connection. I would advise you to do some tests on the phone, load up some web pages and apps at a specific time of day, then turn the data off and try the same thing later on, see if you can load a detailed itemised bill for the time you did this and see when data went through and when it didn't.

Do you know how to find/load a detailed bill? This is actually my first contract phone so the first thing i did was get in touch with O2, i was told to turn this off and it should sort it, but its definately not sorted as my newest bill is £50. What i find funny is wiith the data traffic off i cant even check my O2 to see when im being charged!
Highlighted
Anonymous

Sorry, looks like O2 don't do as detailed a bill as my company does >.< you might have to see if the care team can do it.
Highlighted
Anonymous

If you dont want to use data why dont you just ask o2 to put a GPRS bar on for you?
Highlighted
Anonymous

If you dont want to use data why dont you just ask o2 to put a GPRS bar on for you?

I didnt know that i COULD actually, how would i do that? just call customer services?
Highlighted
Topics: 48
Kudos: 591
Solutions: 48

Yep just call customer care.
However it will also block to send and receive pic messaging too
Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Highlighted
Anonymous

I find mine connecting all the time and it used to worry me but you can find out what's connecting with Android OS Monitor. Click on the network tab and it will show you the IP address your phone is connected to and underneath it shows what app is connected.. And much more.
I can't post the links because it's considered spam. Even though I have nothing to do with them.
Highlighted
Anonymous

quickest and simplest method is to just remove the APN settings