Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being charged for WiFi abroad

Jennilee
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have just been to Turkey for 2 weeks and switched my data roaming off before I even left the UK.

However, I have come back to find out that I have been charged £4 per day whilst out there even though I didn't make any phone calls, send any texts or use any mobile data. I phoned customer service and they said that sometimes you can be charged just for connecting to the WiFi but I always assumed WiFi is free unless stated otherwise. 

They are giving me £22 back because I was unaware of the charges but insisting that I pay the rest. Has anyone else come across this issue before?

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144599 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
It's not a charge for wifi but will be a charge for using data. If you don't have data off completely (not just roaming data) your phone could still connect and use data, for which you will be charged for in Turkey and other non EU countries.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
  • 144599 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
It's not a charge for wifi but will be a charge for using data. If you don't have data off completely (not just roaming data) your phone could still connect and use data, for which you will be charged for in Turkey and other non EU countries.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 123063 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Hi @Jennilee

Was mobile data turned off completely? Are you sure you used WiFi all the time?

O2 Travel cost £3.99 per day in Turkey https://www.o2.co.uk/o2travelupdate

Another thread here about roaming in Turkey (and Cyprus)

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Roaming-in-Turkey-and-Cyprus-On-PAYG/bc-p/1105917

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 11

Jennilee
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello,

Yes I switched mobile data off and I went into my settings and switched data roaming off because I had to switch back on when I landed in the UK to get my messages. 

They are saying my phone may have connected to a network while I was out there but I still didn't use it. 

I just think it's unfair that most people appear to have been refunded in situations like this but they are expecting me to pay. As far as I was aware, I did everything right. 

Message 4 of 11

MI5
  • 144599 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
If data was definitely off, the only other way you could be charged is for sending texts or making and receiving phone calls, which also include any calls that went to voicemail?

Currently using:
Message 5 of 11

Jennilee
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello 

I only received one phone call on the last day of my holiday which I didn't answer, yet they are charging me for every day I was there 😞 

Message 6 of 11

MI5
  • 144599 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
OK, so you need to ask them what invoked the daily charge for each day you were charged. They should be able to give you this info and don't accept the wifi excuse as you don't get charged by O2 for using wifi at all.
If they can't give you a reasonable explanation for it, they must remove all the charges.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 123063 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@Jennilee wrote:

Hello 

I only received one phone call on the last day of my holiday which I didn't answer, yet they are charging me for every day I was there 😞 

Well that does seem unfair.

I was going to say.... just one text sent or one call made would have triggered the daily charge.

I would keep persevering with CS @Jennilee

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 11

Jennilee
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 @Cleoriff

Thanks for all of your help! I will call them again tomorrow slight_smile 

Message 9 of 11

MI5
  • 144599 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
Let us know how you get on and good luck slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 10 of 11