cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being Charged for Permium Text Services

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey All I have been getting the odd text from this service and allways just deleted it ive not signed up to anything that uses a premium text service and im quite annoyed O2 can simply just add it onto my bill ive gave no permision for my account to be billed or even done anything with the text just open it and delete it. is there anyway i can claim this money back?
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your best bet is to contact customer services:

Pay As You Go: 4445 from your O2 phone (25p/call)
Pay Monthly: 202 free from your O2 phone

Opening hoursMonday - Friday08:00 - 21:00
 Saturday08:00 - 20:00
 Sunday08:00 - 18:00

Usually services which charge you with premium rate text messages will stop sending them to you if you reply with the word "STOP" back to the number they came from. However with more recent scams using premium rate mobile texts, it may be worth speaking to O2 first to establish if the service who is charging you is a legitimate provider of such premium services.

Message 2 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 85655 Posts
  • 591 Topics
  • 4583 Solutions

If the premium text is a short code then the service is governed by PhonePayPlus. Enter the short code into the website for information on the company making the charge.

Follow the guidelines on the site for making a complaint and trying to recover the charges if you haven't signed up for them. Sometimes just clicking a link when on a particular site is enough for them to send premium texts which will be buried in the small print and obviously they make huge money on these.

As suggested, first off, send STOP or STOP ALL to the short number. Even doing this is enough to trigger a confirmation text back acknowledging the cancellation (some even see this as a last opportunity to make a premium charge).

http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/

Message 3 of 14

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Many people enter their number on a website with an enquiry "We need your number in case we need to get in touch", once you've done that you're fair game.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

We have had a problem with this number 87066.

The number has been blocked on my sons iPhone but he is still getting charged £3.50 a time.

I asked O2 to block this number but so far without success.

They state it is thrid party and they will try.

My son replied to the first text with "STOP", since then he has been getting them weekly.  If it carries on much longer I'll have to change his number.

O2 refunded the charges, but for me this is a massive scam nothing more nothing less.

Message 5 of 14

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
You will need to some bing/google searches to find out who the company are. Your so. Might have signed up by mistake or it could be a rogue company. You can report the company phonepayplus.org.uk
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 6 of 14

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

No need to google or bing this head straight to phonepayplus.org.uk and perform a search there all the uptodate info will be displayed as per the help guide here http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/for-consumers/unexpected-phone-charge

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 14

jonsie
  • 85655 Posts
  • 591 Topics
  • 4583 Solutions

Give them a call....

Customer care number:0333 202 6671
Customer care email:contact@helpcareline.co.uk
Customer care website:Eyegames Limited has not provided this information
Message 8 of 14

MI5
  • 121823 Posts
  • 607 Topics
  • 18763 Solutions
O2 cannot block the number and blocking it on your phone won't stop the charges either.
You must follow the advice given above to get your number removed from their database.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Message 9 of 14

sportytiger
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My daughter was being charged £3.75 / week. I tracked down the company (Tap2Bill) who own the number but effectively rent that number out to other providers. In my daughters case it was Glowtxt. I called Glowtxt to cancel my daughter's number. Hopefully no more problems!

Message 10 of 14