cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be aware of data charges with Blackberry!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all.
Thought i had better post a warning to Blackberry users about this.
I have been charged over £75 for using a radio app on my 8900 which i did not realise was not included in my Bolt On..
I thought it would be good to have the radio for a bit of music while i worked, it was good but a very expensive way to listen to the radio.
It's an error on my part but still a very bitter feeling as i'm on a £45 a month contract and the Customer service rep was not very helpful, in fact i thought she was quite rude. Anyway contract runs out in about 3 months, think i might tell o2 to poke it.
Be careful with the apps!, i checked too late.

Nick.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Its always been the case that Blackberry handsets use two sorts of data. There is the data that goes through the Blackberry servers and the data that goes through your operator's APN. This is why it is recommended that Blackberry owners have a Blackberry subscription/bolt-on and a web bolt-on or at least a capped data charge.
Its especially important if you use apps as the publishers of the apps very often don't make it clear how they connect.
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
In hindsight wish i had researched more!.
might go for an Iphone when i leave, at least everything all seems to run through just the 1 connection plus loads of apps too.
Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
A bit late now, but it would be worthwhile to check your online account for charges after a day if you download a data intensive app.
What was the app you downloaded?

Hi, thats how i found out, lucky i checked my account when i did!, it'll be on next months bill.
It's The Absolute radio player, been trying to get one that works for ages without WiFi and this seemed to work well.
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am currently on £35 a month tariff was shoot up to £45 this month. I never expected this! The problem is that it charges me for mobile.o2.co.uk and not wap.o2.co.uk, I thought the internet was free as well as the data charges. So if I use the internet on 'Bolt' (Blackberry Best Web browser app), Will i still be charge for data useage?

I don't use Blackberry's own browser it is too slow.
Message 5 of 5