Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Avoiding data roaming charges

Just changing my mobile to the Samsung Monte after a disastorous time with the Vivaz, (it has to be the worse touchscreen ever). After much deliberation and deciding I don't want an iphone the Monte seemed okay. I don't want a smartphone but did want a capacitive touchscreen so it kind of limited me. Anyway the Monte has wifi and I'm wondering if I will have same problem as many iphone users when abroad, ie it trying to connect to wifi networks and amassing roaming charges. I will not be using wifi internet abroad at all, so what is best way to make sure the Monte behaves itself abroad. But I do want to be able to send MMS over GPRS so I need this to work with wifi/web browising disabled. I know you have given out lot of advice to the iphone users so can you help a Monteuser, I know Monte user just doesn't sound as cool but hey thats what I picked. Smiley Very Happy
Highlighted
Anonymous

You're not charged by O2 for using wi-fi. It's packet data you are charged for (2g/3g).
The cost of sending an MMS includes the data, there is on extra charge for the data used to send an MMS.
If you want to avoid a big roaming bill, either turn off data or buy a roaming data bundle.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks, I'm just trailing through old posts about this and have noticed that the wifi is not what is incurring the charges like you have said. If all I want to do is send MMS can I still do this if I switch data off? I get feeling maybe not? Could I also say I appreciate your advice, you've given me quite bit since I came here.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Be aware that you can only buy one data roaming bundle and after that the standard charges apply...standard charges are 3 pounds per MB in europe and 6 pounds per MB outside Europe. A 3 minute Youtube video upload could therefore cost you about 240 pounds (for 80MB). A normal text email about 10pence. An 'average' web *page* about 3 pounds (yes 3 pounds per page)

T&Cs from here... http://www.o2international.co.uk/standardrate_and_data.aspx

extract...
Terms and Conditions.

1. Data Abroad Bolt Ons are available to customers connecting or upgrading to a new O2 Pay Monthly tariff or any iPhone tariff from 1 February 2008.
2. Data Abroad 10 gives you 10MB per billing month and Data Abroad 50 gives you 50MB per billing month of data abroad in any country.
3. Data used above the monthly allowances will be charged at either £3/MB (inc. VAT) in the EU or £6/MB outside the EU. (Included EU countries are: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Faroe Islands, French Guyana, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe, Guernsey, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Isle of Man, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Martinique, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.)
4. Unused allowances cannot be carried over into subsequent months.
5. Only one Data Abroad Bolt On can be taken at any one time.
Highlighted
Anonymous

[ Edited ]
It's actaully about 2 MB for a 3 min mobile-formatted video on youtube, if you're using the You Tube for mobile site.

http://help.youtube.com/group/youtube-m ... 38aa4dadc0

But apart from that, good points, well made.