cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atrocious 4G speeds in EH3 (Tollcross)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all, this has been a problem for a little while but it seems to have got even worse lately. It's basically really slow in the West Port area of Edinburgh around lunchtime and rush hour. I did a speed test just now and got 0.03Mb/sec down and 0.09Mb/sec up, which is worse than dial-up back in the day! This is with a strong 4G+ signal. It's unusable and things often won't load. I've submitted a fault report before but they just said they couldn't find a fault. It's pretty frustrating!

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous If you aren't getting what you pay for then you could make a complaint. https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Out of interest have you tried it on 3G? if so what sort of speeds are you getting using that?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous If you aren't getting what you pay for then you could make a complaint. https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Out of interest have you tried it on 3G? if so what sort of speeds are you getting using that?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Cleoriff - oops, clicked post by mistake - I'll reply properly soon!

I think I might make a complaint, thanks - it's a bit disappointing and I appreciate it's probably just congestion, but it's not really usable when it's like that. I've tried 3G and I get about 2-3Mbps down, which is better than nothing, so I'll probably stick with that until some progress is made.

Message 3 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I have just checked and this is whats showing....

EH tollcross.PNG

So it certainly isnt a mast problem according to that. https://status.o2.co.uk/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, I saw that earlier when I was trying to find out what was wrong - clearly they're not aware of anything going on at the mast. Maybe a complaint will help escalate things.
Message 5 of 12

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's a common fault in London, Manchester, Liverpool etc, in fact any large city with a high population of users.
O2 don't recognise it as a fault unfortunately and until they upgrade the network it won't get any better.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah, OK... Strange that they don't recognise it as a fault. I suspect I'll just have to be patient.
Message 7 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks, I saw that earlier when I was trying to find out what was wrong - clearly they're not aware of anything going on at the mast. Maybe a complaint will help escalate things.

It certainly wont hurt. The more people who complain then hopefully the network will be forced to improve

If no-one says anything then it's easy for O2 to stick their head in the sand..:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 12

packages
  • 26 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 compared to Vodafone and especially EE have so little capacity for 4G. They may have 4G+ deployed but is it really that? 10mhz 800mhz, 5mhz 1800mhz and maybe 5mhz-10mhz 2100mhz just isn't enough in a city centre, let alone capital city.

Message 9 of 12

chrisymon
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 134 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

have you tried the sim in another phone in the same location at the same time then speed test it, if the same results then it is netowork or sim card issue if not its network settings on your phone. 

"I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited." Currently using S7 edge
Message 10 of 12