cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are these legitimate O2 Sales phone numbers - Gave details and worried now.

Cas1951
Level 3: Thinker
  • 55 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Can't get through to O2 helpline and they close at 9pm, and Live-chat is "too busy" it seems. So can anyone here please put my mind at rest and confirm if these are legitimate O2 sales team phone numbers?

A man from O2 (think he said his name was Alan) called me on both these numbers today, and convinced me to upgrade from pay and go to a Simplicity unlimited contract. It sounded a good deal so I agreed, and he said I would receive an email confirming the contract and direct debit details which I had agreed to. However the email received does not confirm anything about it, except it does confirm the order number which he had quoted over the phone.

Really worried now as I had given my Bank Debit card details and other personal details. Am I worrying for nothing? Been trying to find where to track my order here on the site in "My O2" but can't find anything about tracking orders in there.

Cas

Message 1 of 72
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I have googled both and there is nothing but negative comments about the 0161 number. Probably a third party seller

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/01619023758

If it was me, I would ring them back and cancel. Contact your bank and ask them to refuse payment.

Cold callers often sign you up to tariffs you neither want or need....(This is my personal advice)

As for tracking orders this is done via My O2...though I doubt anything will be showing in there

http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 72
71 REPLIES 71

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I have googled both and there is nothing but negative comments about the 0161 number. Probably a third party seller

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/01619023758

If it was me, I would ring them back and cancel. Contact your bank and ask them to refuse payment.

Cold callers often sign you up to tariffs you neither want or need....(This is my personal advice)

As for tracking orders this is done via My O2...though I doubt anything will be showing in there

http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 72

Cas1951
  • 55 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I will contact my bank in the morning, but for info...........

I tried calling both those numbers....... recorded messages as follows.............

02890021429 says............
"you were called today by ?Penerge?? there is nothing to worry about, we will endeavour to call you again in the near future"

01619023758 says..............
"hello, you were recentlly called on behalf of O2, there is nothing to worry about, we will endeavour to call you again. If you require to speak to one of our operators, please press 1..."

----ps ---- I pressed 1 but nothing.

Message 3 of 72

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Cas1951 As I said I trawled google and find nothing positive at all about these numbers. I honestly would avoid them like the plague.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 72

Cas1951
  • 55 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff  Oh my, what have I done! Really worried now.

I looked at the messages on that page you found for the 0161 number, thanks for that. Yes, a lot of folks complaining and then someone has said..........

"They are a company hired by O2 for sales, O2 are giving them your number..."

So O2 do need to know about all this, will phone them in morning too.

Message 5 of 72

Anonymous
Not applicable

In view of the concern which has often be expressed on this Community about "cold callers" claiming to "be " O2 -  would it not be possible to publish and publicise clearly in the Community webpages a list of the numbers of the legitimate "partners" that work hand-in-hand with O2?   Might help set a few minds at rest.   

Message 6 of 72

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous I would agree...but sometimes O2 don't seem aware themselves!.

On another thread tonight again asking about a phone number... I posted something from O2's twitter site. O2 were initially denying they knew the company...and then at the very end of the post they admitted it was an O2 number. This was the thread...

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/0121-430-0900-call-from-O2/m-p/909713/highlight/true#M100585

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 72

Cas1951
  • 55 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous  Yes and I think too that O2 need to make it easier to be able to report these things directly to them immediately they cause worry too.

eg - I wish there was an O2 customer care email address for suspected fraud, etc, that I could forward the "order confirmation email" to.

Message 8 of 72

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Cas1951 wrote:

@Anonymous  Yes and I think too that O2 need to make it easier to be able to report these things directly to them immediately they cause worry too.

eg - I wish there was an O2 customer care email address for suspected fraud, etc, that I could forward the "order confirmation email" to.

Well there is @Cas1951...Have a read through this

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/everything-else/fraud-and-phishing-advice#qs

phishing@o2.com

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 72

Cas1951
  • 55 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff  - thanks, yes I've just discovered it too after searching around for ages!

I'll send the email to that phishing address - see what they say.

Your help much appreciated.

Message 10 of 72