Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Apps can't access the internet on Nokia 6303i Classic

Been struggling to get my phone working since I decided to transfer my old number to O2. Finally, after having the active settings sent to me 6 times or so, and restarting my phone about 15 times, it finally started to work in part (though only after I asked them to remove and re-add both internet and MMS to my account). I can now get basic web funtionality (i.e. if I go to Menu -> Internet and enter a URL, I can visit the page) and send MMS messages.
However, if I try to use any other application that requires internet access, it always says "connection failed" or "error 006" or some variation of that depending on the application. This includes the built in Email and IM clients, Opera Mini (which came pre-installed on the phone), the Nokia browser (separate entity from what it uses for basic browsing apparently) and even the Nokia store. For example, if I choose Menu -> Messages -> More -> Email and select an account that worked on Orange with the default settings, it will try to connect and then after perhaps 30 seconds, say "Communication error. Try again later.".
The icon to signify the connection doesn't appear correctly - i.e. when it makes a connection normally, it would show either G or E surrounded by a box. When it is initializing the connection, it briefly shows the letter without a box. However, when I use the applications to try and access the network, it simply flashes slowly between the letter (without the box) and no icon at all. According to the manual, G/E in a box means an open connection, and the letter alone says the device is registered to the network.
I'm exceedingly fed up with this and going to the nearest O2 shop is going to be very difficult because I am severely disabled and housebound. Therefore any help that anyone could give me would be gratefully received. Customer services were no use, the Live Chat was much the same.
Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions (and apologies if I haven't given enough info or I am talking rubbish - phone technology isn't my forte).
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Apps can't access the internet on Nokia 6303i Classic

The phone, is it an Orange branded phone?
If so, you may need to have the phone debranded before all of it will work. But most should be ok. As well as installing the settings you need to activate them so that the phone knows which connection to use for the various apps.
To do this, in Connectivity settings make sure the correct O2 Settings are selected and then use the option. Activate Default in all applications .
Highlighted
Anonymous

No - it is a completely unblocked and unbranded phone. Also I have already activated the settings and applied them as default for all. Unfortunately, still no joy.
Highlighted
Anonymous

The letter appearing and then disappearing means that the phone cannot connect to the APN. It can't be a local network problem because the browser works.
It means one of two things either you haven't used the Activate option or you have the wrong Access Point selected (when you used the Activate option)
Make sure the access point is payandgo.o2.co.uk with username payandgo and password is password. Make sure the O2 Pay and Go (may be called prepay) settings are selected. When both are correct, use the Activate option.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Well that will be the problem then. None of the 3 access points use that url. But I'm at a loss on how to fix it. I'm probably just being a bit thick but I'll figure it out, or head to the store and get them to fix it.
ETA: Under settings -> configuration, the default config settings is set to Prepay. Under preferred access points, there are 3 options:
O2 Mobile Web - packet data access point: mobile.o2.co.uk
O2 GPRS - packet data access point: wap.o2.co.uk
O2 WAP GPRS Streaming - packet data access point: wap.o2.co.uk
Highlighted
Anonymous

Not sure why the Prepay configuration doesn't include an APN.
I can think of two solutions. You could create a personal configuration of type Access Point using the details from my post above, select it and activate.
Or using the mobile guide on the O2 website, select a different Nokia Series 40 handset (eg 5310, 6300) and have the settings sent for that, in the hope they contain the APN (or use the manual instructions on the same page)
Hope this helps.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks for that - I've tried creating one myself but can't seem to get it working (probably just me being a bit thick). I'm hoping to head to the shop tomorrow and get them to have a fiddle. The only thing I can think of is that on the site it does seem to suggest they sell my phone for their contracts... but I've made it abundantly clear that I'm on PAYG. Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it. I'm sure I'll get it sorted eventually. Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Anonymous

The process is quite convoluted on Series 40, so it can take a while to get a personal configuration working. Good luck with it.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Well I'm now posting this via my phone so all now appears to be well. It was a bit of a fiddle but got there in the end with everything now working. Thank you so much for all your help and pointing me the right way. Saved me a long and painful trip out to the nearest O2 shop. Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Anonymous

Glad its working.