cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application using all Top-UP credit?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello.

I guess this may be a Pay&GO, Blackberry or an Application issue that I am trying to get to the bottom or maybe a combination of issues - anyhow, I'll start by asking here......

I have a Blackberry 8520 on Pay&Go. It was bought 2 years ago for people to reach me and for Emergency outgoing calls so I rarely use any credit - just the odd short call to keep the SIM 'active' and ensure it is working.

As such, I would infrequently top up £15 which would last me a number of months.

However, last time I topped up (maybe 2 months ago, maybe more, maybe less), my credit suddenly disappeared and I started to get messages relating to not having enough credit for a WAP connection. I am assuming that an application on the phone is causing this and has used all my credit.

Since that time, I have been 'googling' and switching off various thing but the messasges keep appearing.

Around the same time I also started receiving messages about 'certificate errors' but I seem to have resolved those by downloading some 'Thawte' files on my PC and uploading to the BB. I don't know if this is connected but perhaps worth mentioning.

I have been wanting to top up my phone for many weeks, but am reluctant to do so until I stop whatever wants to use up my credit.

Ideally I want to identify the culprit application and bin it, and to this end I have looked for a way to see where my credit went, but I can't find this information for Pay&Go phones - maybe it is only available those on Contract (i.e. itemized billing).

Steve O.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144662 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27731 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I have avoided 'unchecking' Mobile network under Manage connections because it also prevents me making outgoing calls.

In order to make a call I either have to check it again, or respond to the Restore Connections prompt which sets it back on.

I then have to go back in and set it back off manuallyto ensure I don't e any credit.

I am also concerned that if it prevents outgoing calls it will equally prevent incoming calls.

Steve O.

You need to scroll down to Mobile Network Options and just untick data in the settings. Your calls will still come through then and only data will be switched off.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 144662 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27731 Solutions
Turn off the data connection and it will stop any apps accessing data and using credit.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Go to Manage connections and uncheck Mobile network and keep the Wifi connection checked.
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response- I have been variously switching off settings to try and stop this.

Today, I also deleted most of the 3rd party apps and set off a couple of other options on the phone - but I would still like to use the wi-fi connection whilst in range of an access point, and have the option to use the free data connection allowance that comes with top-ups while roaming 

Hopefully I can identify the culprit (cr)application and delete it - then I can make full use of the product rather than disabling anything.

My O2 says I haven't topped up in the last 3 months - so I guess the problem manifested itself sometime in the last 3-4 months, but prior to that I had no issues so I know that the phone can work on Pay&Go in the way that I want to use it.

Steve O.

Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 144662 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27731 Solutions

Currently using:
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.

I have avoided 'unchecking' Mobile network under Manage connections because it also prevents me making outgoing calls.

In order to make a call I either have to check it again, or respond to the Restore Connections prompt which sets it back on.

I then have to go back in and set it back off manually to ensure I don't lose any credit.

I am also concerned that if it prevents outgoing calls it will equally prevent incoming calls?

Steve O.

Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 144662 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27731 Solutions
I couldn't find any apps that give you an app by app breakdown of data usage for your Blackberry, but have a search on BB store and see if you can find anything suitable....

Currently using:
Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 144662 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27731 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I then have to go back in and set it back off manuallyto ensure I don't e any credit.

I am also concerned that if it prevents outgoing calls it will equally prevent incoming calls.

Steve O.

You need to scroll down to Mobile Network Options and just untick data in the settings. Your calls will still come through then and only data will be switched off.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8