cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else suddenly started getting nuisance calls from Mali?

GBDee90
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hey!

All of a sudden, for the past three days, I have been PLAGUED by weird calls from Mali. It's those things that when you answer it's silent.
I reported it to someone on O2 live chat. They say they can't block these calls. The only thing I can do is to block the number when the call comes through. That would work, except the number is slightly different every single time. So block one number and a call comes through an hour later on a different number. They all originate from Mali though. The country code is +223.

Their only other resolution was for me to change my number. I'm hesitant to do that because I've had the same number for over 10 years, plus I don't see why I should have to go through the hassle of updating my details with every Tom, Dic and Harry. Surely O2 has a way of blocking calls from a particular country code? No?

Please help!

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Anonymous We're currently looking into this and I hope to have some news soon. Please keep an eye on this thread for updates. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 21 of 35

jeremycm
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Also from Tunisia today grimacing

Message 22 of 35

mali
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've been getting nuisance calls from Mali too!!! now they are withholding their number, I still didn't answer but I can't block the caller whithout a number!  Can I generally block callers who withhold their number?

This if very very annoying as my council work phone doesn't register it's number when calling clients nor does NHS phones. So not all calls from unrecognised numbers are nuisance calls!

Come on 02 do something!!!!!!!!!!

Message 23 of 35

mali
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
How did the these people get our numbers???
Message 24 of 35

mali
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 have you been hacked recently or have you given out our numbers to criminals?????

Message 25 of 35

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Martin-O2(Community Manager) is checking this out folks, so we will just have to wait till he gets an answer from O2..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Me too about 6 a day for the last 2 weeks -my husband has had some too- codes 221-387-297-881-241-223-224-674-441-248442-448- these include Mali - Assention islands - etc etc. they ring twice and cut off hoping for a call back which I expect will charged at a premium rate... I contacted O2 who say they re aware and will refund for any charges to my account. Luckily I haven't called back.  I keep blocking the numbers and put do not disturb on at night. 

Message 27 of 35

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Reposting my answer to another thread on this issue: 

Hi guys I’ve had a response on this and I can confirm that these calls are part of a scam that relies on you calling the number back to make money. Provided that you don’t call the number back you won’t be charged. Unfortunately, O2 are unable to block these calls as a quick fix because the number changes regularly but they are looking at ways to address them.

The advice is as follows:

• It’s best not to answer these calls but if you do you won’t be charged
  • Don’t call the numbers back or you will be charged!
  • Block these nuisance numbers on your device to prevent repeat calls from the same number

You can also find some advice on dealing with these types of calls in this Community guide

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 28 of 35

jeremycm
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

These have started again - This time from Mali, South Sudan & Malawi - Any further info on this ?

Message 29 of 35

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions