cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else suddenly started getting nuisance calls from Mali?

GBDee90
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hey!

All of a sudden, for the past three days, I have been PLAGUED by weird calls from Mali. It's those things that when you answer it's silent.
I reported it to someone on O2 live chat. They say they can't block these calls. The only thing I can do is to block the number when the call comes through. That would work, except the number is slightly different every single time. So block one number and a call comes through an hour later on a different number. They all originate from Mali though. The country code is +223.

Their only other resolution was for me to change my number. I'm hesitant to do that because I've had the same number for over 10 years, plus I don't see why I should have to go through the hassle of updating my details with every Tom, Dic and Harry. Surely O2 has a way of blocking calls from a particular country code? No?

Please help!

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Cheers for the tag on this one @jonsie

@jeremycm I'll report this back to the team but please follow the advice in my post above when dealing with these calls. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 31 of 35

Ally
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

I got 2 phone calls yesterday from 008821622778383.  Unfortunately I was waiting for a courier to call and answered - but later checked when I was home and found it was a scam call and blocked the number.  Just got my bill this morning and have been charged £13.33.  

Please watch out for this number!!!!!

Is there anything I can do about this charge?

Thanks slight_smile

Message 32 of 35

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
There is no charge for just answering calls @Ally
The only way is if you pressed any buttons in response to a recorded message?
As these scams are being investigated by O2 I suggest you call customer services and lodge a complaint with them.
There's a good chance you'll get refunded.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 33 of 35

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Ally

Definitely a scam if you look here https://who-called.co.uk/Number/008821622778383

DO NOT CALL BACK seems to be the consensus, you will be charged for the call. Block the number and follow this advice

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Are-you-fed-up-with-spam-calls-and-texts-Follow-these-st...

Another site for help

https://payforitsucks.co.uk/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 34 of 35

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
There is no charge for just answering calls @Ally
The only way is if you pressed any buttons in response to a recorded message?
As these scams are being investigated by O2 I suggest you call customer services and lodge a complaint with them.
There's a good chance you'll get refunded.

Point out too that many others have been getting calls from this number which seems to originate from the UAE. Chances are you will be refunded but don't use live chat because they don't have the same remit to give refunds.

Message 35 of 35