cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else suddenly started getting nuisance calls from Mali?

GBDee90
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hey!

All of a sudden, for the past three days, I have been PLAGUED by weird calls from Mali. It's those things that when you answer it's silent.
I reported it to someone on O2 live chat. They say they can't block these calls. The only thing I can do is to block the number when the call comes through. That would work, except the number is slightly different every single time. So block one number and a call comes through an hour later on a different number. They all originate from Mali though. The country code is +223.

Their only other resolution was for me to change my number. I'm hesitant to do that because I've had the same number for over 10 years, plus I don't see why I should have to go through the hassle of updating my details with every Tom, Dic and Harry. Surely O2 has a way of blocking calls from a particular country code? No?

Please help!

Message 1 of 35
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Reposting my answer to another thread on this issue: 

Hi guys I’ve had a response on this and I can confirm that these calls are part of a scam that relies on you calling the number back to make money. Provided that you don’t call the number back you won’t be charged. Unfortunately, O2 are unable to block these calls as a quick fix because the number changes regularly but they are looking at ways to address them.

The advice is as follows:

• It’s best not to answer these calls but if you do you won’t be charged
  • Don’t call the numbers back or you will be charged!
  • Block these nuisance numbers on your device to prevent repeat calls from the same number

You can also find some advice on dealing with these types of calls in this Community guide

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

View solution in original post

Message 28 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I have been getting them the same as you.  I have also been blocking individual numbers. Will be contacting o2 tomorrow.

Message 2 of 35

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

Quite a few people getting them just lately on all networks it appears.
Some help here but blocking is about all you can do.
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/unwanted-calls-and-messages

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 35

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Probably due to the 'change in marketing preferences' unbeknown to us all. A community help thread here

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly/Are-you-fed-up-with-spam-calls-and-texts-Follow-these-step...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 35

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Other than blocking calls from the entire country, which I'm sure O2 nor any other network would do, there aren't many options except to not answer the call, and block individual numbers as they come in. Having said that, O2's policy of changing everyone's default setting on marketing preferences without notifying customers is underhanded and despicable.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 35

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I have a very simple rule if I get a call from a number I don't recognise I don't answer. I then check the number which is usually reported as a scam and I block it. There's not much else you can do. It's a pain but there it is
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 6 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been getting these the last few days also! I stupidly didnt see the first one come through saying 'Mali' and I have family abroad in italy so i called it back for 6 seconds and then hung up and ive just checked my bill and its charged me £1.67!!! So annoyed! Im going to call 02 later and hope that they take it off my bill. Its disgusting that these calls can do this! Ive blocked 5 seperate Mali numbers now.. I'm hoping it will stop soon. I would not change your number. why should you have to!!! Hopefully they will get bored and leave you alone...

Message 7 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, you said it was silent when you answered, may be an idea to check your bill as you might have been charged like me for a few seconds!

Message 8 of 35

Cleoriff
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

You need to check your contact preferences in My O2 @Anonymous. When O2 updated the website a few weeks ago,a lot of us found ours had been changed.This left us open to loads of spam calls

http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

Contact preferences Feb MI5.png

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes! I've been getting them non stop for the past two days, it's getting annoying now. I have been blocking them individually which is a pain. I hope they can do something about this, charged me £1.67 for picking up!! 

Message 10 of 35