cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody else getting called by 'O2' saying they have been selected for a 40% discount on their bill?

SnowWhite
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have been called twice now from a 0330 number saying they are O2 and I have been selected for a 40% discount on the monthly amount I pay for my contract. I don't trust them as its a random number. The second time I was called they sent me a text at the same time and I think he wanted me to read it out but I said I was busy and hung up.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @SnowWhite 

It is a scam and has been reported here previously.

How to report here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/phishing-and-smishing-advice

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @SnowWhite 

It is a scam and has been reported here previously.

How to report here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/phishing-and-smishing-advice

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

SnowWhite
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks. I'll just challenge and hang up if they call again.

Message 3 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Or block the number on your phone. That would be much better.

We always advise everyone not to accept any offer from a cold caller. You could end up on entirely the wrong contract. There is usually some hidden price to pay.

How to block a number:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062352/

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201229

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@SnowWhite 

They have access to your account if a code was sent to your phone.

This is what they are after so they can order phones on your account.

Change your password immediately and never give your code to anyone other than O2 when you have instigated a change or upgrade etc.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 8

SnowWhite
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I didn't give them the code.  He did ask if I had received a text during the call and I said I had, but that I hadn't seen who it was from or what it said. I refused to check it during the call, saying I was too busy and I'd look later. Was confirming I'd received a text enough for them to commit fraud on my account, or do they need the code that I didn't give?

Which password do you suggest I change? The only password I can think of relating to my phone is the one I use to log into this website.

Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@SnowWhite 

No problem as long as you didn't give the code and yes, the password you use to login to your MyO2 should be changed.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 8

SnowyCal1
  • 0 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

I have been getting calls this like for weeks.  I contacted o2 on this website through their chat function and was told the 40% was genuine was from them.  The number that called me was an 'O2' number, every digit was correct and I also got the warning text and then code text.  Very confused that O2 told me it was genuine. 

Message 8 of 8