Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Anderoid 3G and MMS

Does anyone that has an anderoid phone have any problems with 3G and MMS?
I have a anderoid phone (Samsung Galaxy) and I have disabled 3G to save money (using an app called APNdroid it can be toggled on and off)
However with the 3G switched off, i cant send or receive MMS, is this normal?
Is there any alternative to manage 3G and not disable MMS?
Anonymous

Re: Anderoid 3G and MMS

AFAIK APNDroid actually switches off all data connections to save money. I suspect this also includes the data connection for MMS
When you say switch off 3G do you really mean you want to switch off data connections or just the 3G signal (you phone will use data on 3G and 2G)
If it is only the 3G signal you want to switch off, this can be done in the phone setting menu.
Anonymous

I guess I only want to switch off the data connections I think its some of the apps (ESPN scorecast, and maybe there is more?) that want to update of connect to 3G constantly, and they are using my data allowance / credit.
I have Samsung Galaxy Europa, I'm not so sure how to prevent the apps from accessing 3G (I like using them, but dont see why I should have a constant connection for them!)
Anonymous

Don't know the apps you are talking about but most of the good ones have a setting as to how often they connect to the internet. Most of mine have the option to only connect when you start them up.
As to using up your data allowance, provided you are not a great music or video streamer then the 500MB should prove ample.
Anonymous

I have been looking through my apps, in the manage apps section of my phone.
For example the facebook, espn and even bloody angry birds have "network communication" full internet access under the permissions.
I dont seem to have the choice to allow / un-allow this?
Anonymous

From the home screen of my Facebook App pressing menu and then settings gives me the option to set the refresh interval from 30 min to Never. Selecting never means it only updates when you select it.
Never used the others though
Anonymous

Oh cool, i have seen that now, that could be very useful.
I assume the other apps probably have something similar if i take a look at them!!
So does your facebook just update when you activate it (as in you have 3G or wifi on and you open the app)
Highlighted
Anonymous

My Facebook only syncs when I open it up, I've done the same with my Twitter App.
Check weather apps as well as these often can be set - once an hour is good enough for me.
If you are really worried about data then set your mail program to do similar, although mine is set to push as I use mail a lot.
Why not install a program like 3G Watchdog - it will give you a good idea of what your data usage actually is.
Mail, News, Facebook and Twitter along with using the Google Navigation for quite a few hours this month and I will still be under allowance. It's streaming that really uses the MB's
Anonymous

Thanks for your help Dave.
Anonymous

I have installed the 3G watchdog and it shows what data I am using, seems like a useful little app.
Regarding the espn scorecenter app that i was saying was always running, this seemed to be because i had a widget on my desktop that always was displaying the latest score / next fixture of my selected teams. So I deleted that, so it only starts when I activate it from the menu (I suppose if i really wanted I could move the widget on to desktop if I wanted to follow some game!)