Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon fire-

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bought amazon fire 32g on a refresh 500mb data 4g tariff

Stated that i would recieve a code for an amazon fire 8gb tab for £1

I was told this would be included when i get the phone but low and behold no Leaflet!

Ive got one of the tariffs for this and would like to know why i dont have one!

THanks

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm interested by all your comments about the Fire Phone ...

Have any of you actually used it or just read the reviews that others have posted?

I got one to replace my iphone 5 and to be honest I like it. I use Amazon a lot and the whole family have Kindles so I liked the idea of the free Prime for a year and the sharing feature (up to 4 users).

The actual phone is heavier than an iphone 6 but about the same size. For my eyes (44 years old) it's a nice clear screen and the OS is pretty easy to get to grips with.  It has some truly pointless features - Dynamic Perspective for one - and I'm disappointed by the lack of useful apps (banking in particular) but as I say, I'm 44 so some of the apps that others may miss I wouldn't use anyway. Customising ringtones for contacts is nowhere near as easy as on the iPhone but can be done by downloading ringtone apps. Firefly works fine and is a bit of fun (like Siri), but why I'd need this is a bit beyond me (particularly living in an area where 3G is non existent, so I'm only using it on Wifi which means I probably know what I'm looking at or listening to anyway!)

It links into my Amazon account with no problem and I can easily download any music I've ever bought from Amazon or add from my PC without having to fight with iTunes. I get a better wifi signal with this than the iphone and find it faster too (but then mine is an iPhone 5 not a newer one). E-mails are easy to set up and social media too. 

I suppose it depends what you  want a smartphone for - if it's for calls, texts, camera and social media then the Amazon Fire Phone does it perfectly well and a lot cheaper than an iPhone. If you want it for bragging rights then this isn't the phone for you - Apple pretty much have that covered, but if you're not label conscious and want a phone with a good camera, that you can connect to the internet with then this is a good phone, particularly if you use Amazon a lot.

On the downside I'm struggling with a poor mobile signal in my house which is then draining the battery VERY quickly.

The mayday connection was almost instant but (because we have super SLOW broadband, didn't work too well so I contacted Amazon support via chat on my PC). They were very helpful and actually called back when they said they would, so can't fault them.

Sadly the problem still exists. I've tried a new Sim which has made no difference and also a factory reset (which may be another issue as, to perform a restore from the back up, my super slow broadband said it would take 156 hours!). Looks like I'll have to go back to the O2 shop and see what's next. Hopefully a new handset which will work as, like I say, I do like it and would rather keep it at £10 a month cheaper than my iPhone 5 than increase my costs by moving to an iPhone 6.

To summarise - I like the Fire Phone, despite the issues I'm having. I hope they're caused by a faulty handset and will hopefully know later today. If the poor signal can be fixed I'll be keeping it and all the freebies I got with it!

Message 21 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122387 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

I must admit to being put off this phone by the constant poor reviews it received.

As I understand it....it tries to copy Android phones but doesn't really come up to scratch.

I looked at it in detail when I was changing my S3. I couldn't risk being disappointed if honest...so I went for the Note 3 instead.

As we always say though ...buying a phone is down to personal choice and if you are happy with it...then I am pleased for you wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 22 of 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143457 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I agree, it's all down to personal choice and in fairness, any phone these days will do all the same kind of things very well.
What set's them apart is the hardware and build materials, oh and of course the price.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

Yes I've used that handset and overall didn't have any real issues with its features or signal.
Message 24 of 24