cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After upgrade and sim swap lost 4G

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, i have upgraded to sim only tariff, received a new sim, inserted in the iPhone 6. Contacted O2 to activate the sim and bolt on. I have done this now about 5 times, and still no 4G. Just 3G or none. The O2 gurus and top tech guys keep telling me that it all looks good and will be fine in 2-24 hours but still not working. I have reseted data network many times as well. O2 told me that bolt on is added to my account but when i check in my app its not there. Its been going on for days now. I did try all solutions i've seen here, no luck. Anyone can help please?
Message 1 of 26
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Ask them to also check they enabled 4G - there is another tick-box for that option too.
Changes take at least 24 hours and you should reboot your phone periodically to re-register on network.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

We have had a few cases where customers have moved to sim only tariffs and 4G hasn't been set on their account. Have you got the iData bolt on?

Check your mast status to ensure 4G is working http://status.o2.co.uk/
You need to check your APN settings as well

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/Connecting-iPhone-to-Data-Services/td-p/544210

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 26

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You will most likely have the blackberry Bolt on instead of idata.
Call and specifically ask them to check the type of bolt on you have.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Guys, thanks. APN is checked and fine. Network data reseted fine. Coverage is fine. Before upgrade i had 2 bolt ons. 1 standard rates in europe, 2 bolt on for iPhone. After ugrade, bolt on for iPhone is gone. O2 cust serv said is there and active. Still no 4G!!!
Message 4 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Guys, thanks. APN is checked and fine. Network data reseted fine. Coverage is fine. Before upgrade i had 2 bolt ons. 1 standard rates in europe, 2 bolt on for iPhone. After ugrade, bolt on for iPhone is gone. O2 cust serv said is there and active. Still no 4G!!!

If you have checked in My O2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2 and there is no idata bolt on then you have to ring CS again and get it applied. You have ruled out everything else. It's the only thing that could be causeing this issue. Best time to ring and speak to someone is between 8-8.30am. I would do it again this morning

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 26

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The iData no longer shows on my wife's account, but she is still on it, so it won't necessarily show in your MyO2.
It needs CS to specifically confirm this along with an active 4g switch.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 26

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous I've responded to your PM about this issue so please take a look when you get a minute. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is an ongoing problem with o2 when upgrading or changing tariff's via the o2 app or online you lose 4G after the tariff change...

I have been on a Sim 12M tariff for about 4 years now and decided this time to try the o2 app as not upgraded via this means before and all seemed to go fine, then I realised no 4G!

A new Sim had been sent via the post so thought I would do the Sim swap, still no 4G, the only successful way I have found is via an o2 shop which I had to visit today, within 10 minutes I had 4G, it appears to be a data problem so the helpful young lady told me in the shop, I had tried the online chat service and they told me I was setup as a blackberry (which I have never had) and it should be OK now it wasn't, I had tried the twitter o2 UK direct message option no joy with that...

It appears the ONLY successful way to upgrade or change your tariff is to visit an o2 shop and have them do it which they did today for me and signed me up again,  within 10 minutes I had 4G on my phone.... so in future I will be going to the o2 shop.

Message 8 of 26

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

This has been a problem for over 12 months. We are aware on the forum and it's the first question we ask....

Message 9 of 26

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The system defaults to Blackberry and it is an issue we have raised previously with O2.
If they choose to do anything to fix the issue is another matter entirely.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 26