Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Advice re. ending contract needed, minimum term nearly up

Hi,
Just some advice needed please.
If my 18-month contract finally ends on the 15th March 2011, will I be able to call O2 tomorrow (25th February 2011) and cancel the contract and only pay for an extra 10 days (15th - 25th March 2011)?
As we pay monthly in advance, my line rental is paid until 15th March already?
I need my PAC number as soon possible really.
TIA
Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Advice re. ending contract needed, minimum term nearly u

You would have to pay the extra 10 days (to make up the 30 days notice) if you were just cancelling.
If you are getting a PAC then it is different. If you use a PAC before your contract end date, you will be billed to the end of the contract.
If you use a PAC on or after the the end date, you will be billed up to the day your number moves and the the line disconnects, 30 days does not apply.
If you want a PAC, do not ask to cancel, ask for a PAC. They are two different things.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi,
Thanks for that. I didn't know there was a difference.
So essentially, getting a PAC will mean i don't have to give the full 30 days notice as the minimum term ends on 15.03.11, as long as i use the PAC before then.
Would the mobile number still be active on O2 until the PAC is processed by the new service provider?
TIA
Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Anonymous

As Beaufighter said, its using the PAC that closes your account (not asking for it). Give the PAC to your new provider. You'll be given a date when the transfer happens. On that date your O2 SIM will be disconnected. Put your new SIM in your handset and leave it switched off for a few hours. Turn on to see if the new SIM connects. If it does then your services will gradually come back over the day, starting with calls and ending with texts. If the new SIM doesn't connect then turn the phone off for a couple of hours and try again. You might need to do this a few times as often the old SIM is disconnected in the morning and the new comes on sometime pm.
Once its working, you'll receive a final bill with any unbilled charges. Don't cancel the direct debit until you are sure its paid (its a good idea to wait until you get a bill showing zero outstanding)
Highlighted
Anonymous

Yes, there is usually no gap in service for calls, but SMS can take up to 24 hrs to become active. When your old sim goes dead you just turn your new one off and on for it to become active on your "keep" number, as it is known. This usually 2 working days from you giving the pac to the new provider.
One word of caution, because it is a different process, once you are given a PAC to keep your number, you have 30 days max in which you can use it ( but the sooner the better) after which it will simply expire and the old contract will continue to run. It is the number moving that triggers the closure of the account. If for any reason you decide not to keep your old number you would need to call in and cancel the account for it to close.