Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Advice on Breach of Contract by O2

I recently bought an Iphone on £35p month tariff, i unfortunately used it when on holiday in usa and after a week it was blocked. I called them when i returned and they told me i was blocked until they had recovered over £400 from me for charges.
firstly no text or warnings were sent to advise me of the bill i was building up
secondly even when it was paid (plus normal fee) the phone is blocked.

i have complained and i think they are in breach of service. they do not, and are saying that i must pay the termination fee if i cancel the contract early, have offered me a compensation payment of £20

how do i get some specific legal opinion on this as it feels very unreasonable to me and i do want to cancel the contract but cant afford the termination fee
Highlighted
Anonymous

how do i get some specific legal opinion on this

You could try a solicitor, don't know why you think there should be an onus on O2 to contact you because you are racking up charges unless you had a predetermined limit set on the phone.
Highlighted
Anonymous

o2 are within their rights to place a restriction on your account if your unbilled charges become excessive. This is done because the phone may have been stolen so it would prevent the theif from running up a never ending bill. It's also because o2 can't allow their customers to run up a huge bill-every credit account has to come to a limit somewhere.

From what you've posted I'm assuming that you paid the bill and then the bar wasn't lifted in error so they've offered you £20 compensation for this? I'd accept this and consider it sorted, because the rest of your situation isn't out of the ordinary, it's a common process.
Highlighted
Anonymous

O2 credit and risk department place bars on the account if you have run a bill that is higher then normal (please note they don't always do this so it shouldn't be relied upon).

They ask for the interim payment to release the bar, which they obviously did not do in you're case.

If you are on a £35 a month tariff and they offered you £20 goodwill credit I would say you got a VERY sympathetic advisor on the line and would take the credit and let it be the end of it.
Highlighted
Anonymous

breach of contract

thanks for reply, the issue i think is that i have paid the account in full £426 plus the normal monthly tariff and the bar has not been lifted, i dont this is reasonable and feel there is a breach of contract. not sure why this service contract would be different from any other? - i may have to take legal advice to terminate as you say

thanks for the input
Highlighted
Anonymous

Ok, have you called customer services back to ask about the bar? You'll probably find you still can't use the phone because either the bar is still there which will be an unfortunate oversight by the advisor you paid the bill with - everybody makes mistakes - or you may just find your phone needs to be restarted for the unbarring to fully take affect.

The phrase 'making a mountain out of a mole hill' is coming to mind over this situation.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Ok, have you called customer services back to ask about the bar? You'll probably find you still can't use the phone because either the bar is still there which will be an unfortunate oversight by the advisor you paid the bill with - everybody makes mistakes - or you may just find your phone needs to be restarted for the unbarring to fully take affect.
The phrase 'making a mountain out of a mole hill' is coming to mind over this situation.

I'd agree, it seems you are looking for a way out and not really helping yourself.

Just give them a call and it will be sorted in a matter of minutes.