Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a name to an account/contract

confused1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi. I bought an iphone 18 months ago and have an o2 pay monthly contract. It is in my name but the phone is actually my daughters. She is about to go travelling and has taken out travel insurance which includes mobile cover.

However, should she need to make a claim the mobile will not show as being hers. I would like to add her name to the account/contract. I have spoken to o2 customer services and they were very confusing. 

I was told I need to end my contract and my daughter needs to set up a new one in her name to transfer ownership. At various points in the conversation I was told it would be a new 2 year contract (we do not want this), a one year contract (we do not want this) and then that the contract will end in Oct 19 just as mine does at the moment. This is what we want! Very confused.

Surely this happens often - parents buy phones for their children.

I just want her name added to the contract! 

Can anyone please shed any light on the situation?

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@confused1 It is not possible to just add her name I'm afraid, but the way around this is to give the insurance company all the details of the phone, ie make, model, IMEI number, contract details etc.

This is what I do with all the phones I have insured in my household.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@confused1 It is not possible to just add her name I'm afraid, but the way around this is to give the insurance company all the details of the phone, ie make, model, IMEI number, contract details etc.

This is what I do with all the phones I have insured in my household.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

confused1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you. I will give that a go.

Message 3 of 4

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @confused1 I hope your daughter has a great time on her travels! slight_smile Let us know if you have any additional questions the community could help with. 

Cheers @MI5 for the advice! thumbsup

Message 4 of 4