cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding A New Phone to Exisiting Contract?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a SE Experia Arc and what I really would like for my upcoming birthday/Christmas is the Galaxy S3. I have explored buying out my current contract which runs out in Feb but it means i would lose my current mobile number and for business reasons i cant lose my current number at the moment.

So can a new mobile contract be added onto my current contract and for them to run side by side as it were? I know I am grasping at straws here and unless Santa has an S3 in his sack on Christmas Day I appreciate that I am likely to be stuck with my ageing Arc until Feb slight_frown Its not that i dislike my phone, I do, it is just that it is coming to the end of its working life and i get dropped calls etc more and more.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

Glad to hear you have data:)

Essentially you'd be buying the s3 sim free without contract. All you would have to do is get ahold of a micro sim from a O2 store.

You'd then be able to swap your current contract into the new sim useing either the online sim swap form;

http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/

Or by txting;

"Swap" to 20220

normally takes around 24 hours to complete.

This would give the s3 your contract and number. However it would render the previous phone without service.

If you have insurance I'd advise cancelling it as it won't cover the new phone.

Hope this helps:)

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I can't see any way of doing that, other than buying out the contract.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 7

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
You could do a sim swap to port your number/contract onto the s3 compatible sim. However depending on what your contract offers you might be hit with large data bills.

Which tarif are you currently on?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi thanks for the replies! I thought the situation might be "grim" I had hoped to be playing with this toy   mobile in time for Christmas! However the sim swap sounds promising. What does this mean? As to my tariff I am on the 02 300 with 1GB of data for surfing. slight_smile

Message 4 of 7

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

Glad to hear you have data:)

Essentially you'd be buying the s3 sim free without contract. All you would have to do is get ahold of a micro sim from a O2 store.

You'd then be able to swap your current contract into the new sim useing either the online sim swap form;

http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/

Or by txting;

"Swap" to 20220

normally takes around 24 hours to complete.

This would give the s3 your contract and number. However it would render the previous phone without service.

If you have insurance I'd advise cancelling it as it won't cover the new phone.

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Right i am with you now! Well i am going to ask Santa for an S3 for both my birthday and christmas pressie combined! wink Then i can go and obtain a micro sim card! What is the difference between a normal sim and micro apart from the obvious size difference?

Message 6 of 7

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Nothing at all as far as I know. They're identical hardware wise just physical excess plastic around the edge.

There are tutorials on how to cut down your standard sim to a micro. (Honestly not worth the hassle. O2 should give you the sim for free. If you damage the copper on the original sim good chance it will be stuffed and make the sim swap much more complicated:(

Message 7 of 7