cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating spare sim after losing the original?

jonwackers
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Lets start at the beginning. Out early for drinks Friday afternoon, drunk, lost phone around 7-8pm, have taxi home, report my phone as lost to O2 around 10 pm. Wasn't told by the guy on the other end of the line that i would be getting a replacement sim, he just hung up.

Wake up Saturday, remembered i had an unopened sim from May 2021 when i upgraded my account from 20gb to 100gb and start the process of activating that sim. I use Live chat, all seemed ok, went through the process, told wait for 24 hours for activation. Reboot phone about 4 hours later and it says i am connected to the o2 network but my phone number doesn't exist when trying to ring it from a landline. 

So, i go back to Live Chat a few hours later after another couple of reboots, get told i don't have blocks/bars on my account and everything should be good. Get told to try a different phone, try that, no difference. Get told to wait again, so i wait until Sunday.

Another reboot when i wake up Sunday, still no change, back to Live Chat for the 3rd time, round and around we go but this operator says i have bars on my account but they have removed them. The operator suggests i have a new sim in case there is an issue with the one i have now, i agree and its being sent by post but its not going to be pre-activated in case the removal of the bars allows my sim to finally activate properly.

Was too much to hope for that the new sim being sent in the post arrived today when i got home from work so its hopefully tomorrow for the "next round".

But my worry now is that i have a bad feeling i am going to end up in the same boat, with a sim that is connected to the 02 network but no actual phone number allocated to it.

Something has gone wrong somewhere and i am not convinced putting another sim in my phone is going to make any difference to the issue i have right now.

Anybody have any ideas what has happened? Maybe something to do between the time my phone was reported lost and a new sim activated around 12 hours later?

A bit of an essay but its the whole story.

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

O2Emma
Former Staff
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

Hi @jonwackers Sorry you have some issues I will send you a private message so can look into it for you.

signature

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22937 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@jonwackers Might be easier to call into an O2 store if you have one nearby. They'll provide you with a new sim and activate it for you. Just make sure to bring identification with you.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 13

jonwackers
  • 10 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

6 miles away in another valley and the opening and closing times mean the earliest i can get there is friday afternoon, when i finish at 12:30pm.

Message 3 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22937 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@jonwackers Your only other option is to try customer service again.
Call 0800 032 1402 from any phone.
When it comes to the reason you are calling, stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.
Press 2 for Everything Else
Press 5 for More Options
Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.
Say 'Upgrade', 'Lost/Stolen', or 'Fraud' if the suggestion above doesn't get you through.
Best time to call is 8 am.

Other available numbers are here: Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@jonwackers 

I'm not sure who's on from O2 tonight, maybe @O2Emma ?

If not, I'll ask @O2Lisa to check over your account in the morning, just to see if anything has been missed.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 13

O2Emma
Former Staff
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

Hi @MI5 Yeah I am on tonight until 9pm. I will pick it up thanks 😀

signature
Message 6 of 13

O2Emma
Former Staff
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

Hi @jonwackers Sorry you have some issues I will send you a private message so can look into it for you.

signature
Message 7 of 13

jonwackers
  • 10 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

ok, great, thanks.

Message 8 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Thanks @O2Emma 

Wasn't sure as no rota on for today.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 13

jonwackers
  • 10 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many thanks to Emma for sorting out my issue. Fully functional sim card now in use. Thank you all for your replies.

Message 10 of 13