cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating a Pay and Go sim too early.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I ordered an international sim to take on holiday. The idea was I'd put in an old phone to use while out and about, in markets and on boats for example. That way, if it was slolen or dropped into the sea it woundn't really matter. And the calls would be cheaper.

It arrived but I kept getting emails telling me to activate it so I activated. As soon as I did I was told I had 

3000 O2 texts, 50MB of data and 1p/min calls - excellent - but had to use them within a month. I'm not going for another 6 weeks.

I contacted O2 chat to see if they could help, but all they managed to do was remove my international tarriff. that was the whole point of the card.

Have I just lost my top-up money and card, or is there a solution out there?

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

The international sim will be of no use to you in France. You are better just using o2 travel that comes as standard or better yet a local sim if your phone's unlocked. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

If I were you I would contact CS and speak to someone on the phone. If you get a good advisor they may be able to reset/it...or at least advise you what else you can do...

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

You may have lost out but if you don't ask you wont get...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 14

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Try calling again, at the very least they will reinstate the tariff. I'm not sure if they will be able to help with the early activation. Explain the situation and what's happened and maybe they help in some way. 

Message 3 of 14

MI5
  • 144198 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
Order another sim and don't activate it until you travel.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 14

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Just a thought...you do know the 3000 minutes are for use in the UK when dialling international numbers? 

Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, and everyone. I will try Customer services again. Not quite what happened with this morning's attempt.
For my own reference - ignore O2 emails and only activate/top up just before travel.

Message 6 of 14

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Are you sure you need this sim, it's mainly meant for calls from the UK?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you,

I have no idea if it's the right sim. As of now I am not very sure of anything - I've just had another email from O2 suggesting I top up my sim... and it's another mobile phone number completely, one I've never owned or used. (I might just phone it to see who it is.)

As for the international sim - I just wanted to have a phone to use in France - to phone other people, who will also be in France. I was trying not to register for roaming which would charge me £2 a day just for the privilege of being abroad with charges on top. 

Perhaps I should have looked at another network that can work with French phone such as Three or Orange.

Message 8 of 14

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

The international sim will be of no use to you in France. You are better just using o2 travel that comes as standard or better yet a local sim if your phone's unlocked. 

Message 9 of 14

MI5
  • 144198 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
Get a Three PAYG sim and top it up with £15. Exchange this for their unlimited data bundle and it will give you 300 mins and 25gb of data to use in France all included.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 14