cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating a PAYG sim and setting up an account.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have received my O2 PAYG sim and need to :

1. Activate it - I believe this has to be done for a new sim by buying a token from an O2 shop (or other facility) - which seems a bit of a unique and restrictive requirement.

2. Register an account so I can do future top ups for the sim on line.

As setting up of an account requires the sending of a code by text to the number entered, would I be right that this cannot be done until I make my first top up - or is there another way of doing it.

I live out in the sticks and will not be near a facility to obtain a voucher for another few days - hence my question.

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143432 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, that is the correct process which should all be outlined on the sim packaging.
You may also be able to call 4444 to top up but usually the first top up requires a voucher.
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/How-can-I-pay-my-bill/ba-p/1014090
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
  • 143432 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, that is the correct process which should all be outlined on the sim packaging.
You may also be able to call 4444 to top up but usually the first top up requires a voucher.
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/How-can-I-pay-my-bill/ba-p/1014090
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks MI5.

I had seen the link you refer to, but was hoping someone may have an alternative method so I didn't have to make a special trip to the town or wait until next time we visit town - which may be after the weekend.

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 14

MI5
  • 143432 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Try 4444 first - it does work sometimes.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Will do

Thanks

Message 5 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Was working fine yesterday. I topped up my sons mobile

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 14

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone.

I walked the dog this morning and whilst out passed through a decent signal area - and the text with the sign up code arrived - so all sorted.

I do have one other question though.

On the sim card leaflet it states costs for calls in the UK as being 5p/min, but when I look at roaming charges for Europe (Say Spain) it says calls to the UK are 4p/min.

Assuming this is correct it is puzzling as to why roaming is cheaper than home calls.

Does anyone: 

- know why this is ?

- think this will change in June when new EU roaming contol comes in to play? 

Message 8 of 14

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's an anomaly that been apparent since the EU reduced calls and texts a couple of years ago, but yes, expect changes again this summer. 

Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

It's an anomaly that been apparent since the EU reduced calls and texts a couple of years ago, but yes, expect changes again this summer. 

Hopefully not up - one of the factors considered for deciding to use O2 was the low roaming rate without restrictions.

Message 10 of 14