Did you mean: 

Account holder passed away

Fran_P
Level 1: Joiner
  • 17 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there,

Unfortunately, my mother, who is the account holder passed away last February and as I was the person using the account and paying the bill (on time). My mum took the contract out for me when I was young and has had it for years, and we just never got round to changing it over to my name when I got my first job and starting building credit.

After she passed away, I couldn't bring myself to call O2 and let them know, so we could change it all over to me, so I just carried on using the phone and paying the bill, as I always had done. It was a mix of procrastination and an irrational fear that they would cut me off and lock me out of my phone (lots of pictures, videos and memories on my phone). However, recently, with only a couple of months left on the device plan, I've been considering upgrading so I thought it best to sort things out with O2.

However, having spoken to the bereavements team, it's not as simple as just changing the name on the contract and conducting a credit check... I have to setup a whole new contract and then request the number be transferred to it, which seems like a bit of pain, to me. It was explained to me that the current account will be closed after 28 days and any balances essentially written off (maybe I've misunderstood that).

I went through the ordeal of having been passed to O2 Sales to setup a new account and do a credit check, which was fine, however, I've changed my mind and I just want to get the PAC code off O2 and go elsewhere.

Is this something I can do, as it was never explained to me by bereavements?

In the meantime, I'm going to cancel the new contract I signed up for, using the 14 day cooling off, which I believe I can do.

Any insight is appreciated, as my mind is boggled. I wish I could have just changed the name on the account 😞

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Fran_P 

How to get your pac guide here Guide: How to get your PAC [June 2021 Update] 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Fran_P 

How to get your pac guide here Guide: How to get your PAC [June 2021 Update] 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Phone97
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Because your Mum has passed away and she was the account for your mobile number. You would need to speak to The Bereavement Team and ask if you could have a PAC to take the number to a different network. I hope that help I’m sorry for your loss.💔💔

Message 4 of 4