cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Tale of Hope and Dejection - Disappointed with O2!

Smac79
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Here is a cautionary tale of a young(ish) man, full of ambition to experience another mobile phone provider who was cruelly betrayed by the very people he though would be his salvation.

After years with my existing provider my contract was up and I spied the opportunity to escape my confinement within a ridiculously named company into the sunlight and air of one whose name represented both the numerical and alphabetical freedom that all mobile users yearn for.

My vehicle for escape came in the guise of a £17.00 a month SIM only deal and, with a feeling of excitement building in my stomach, I stepped out of my telephonic comfort zone and I hit the order button.

Working on the principle that no man should be left behind I decided that I couldn’t allow my beloved phone number, which had been through countless love affairs, break ups and PPI calls alongside me, to remain trapped in the hellish database of my existing provider.

So I braved the honeyed voices and seductive wiles of my existing providers Disconnection Team. Amidst silky promises of high data allowances and smooth assurances of countless free apps and sport I held my nerve and emerged victoriously with the treasured PAC Code which would secure my phone numbers freedom!   

The SIM appeared when O2 said it would, happy days!

With trembling hands, I inserted my new SIM into my phone and prepared to cut the metaphorical cord with my existing provider and transfer my faithful phone number from the gladiatorial combat arena of their database to the green and open spaces of O2’s database, where it could run free and make lots of other phone number friends and bask in the sunlight.

Then it all went wrong.

The lady at O2 said the temporary number O2 had given me wasn't recognised as belonging to any account. I didn’t exist. She was unable to change my number.

As the gloom began to descend though she perked me up by assuring me that O2 would look into it and call me back to tomorrow once it was all sorted to complete the rescue of my number.

Of course they would, O2 were a good and noble provider, they wouldn’t leave you hanging, not when the stakes were this high and the freedom of both customer and number hung in the balance.

No call came.

Forlorn and forgotten by O2 I went on holiday, my debit card and phone number still in the clutches of EE.

On my return and refreshed by my break, I decided that something terrible must have happened at O2 which would have prevented them from calling me back as they had promised. I would persist with escape.

There was one problem however. I would have to do battle once again with the dreaded Disconnection Team. I steeled myself, wiped the sweat from my brow and dialled the number.

It was an epic duel. They hammered me with lower monthly prices, I countered with their historic over charging, they came at me aggressively with the prospect of paying another month’s bill, I deflected weakly with the fact there had been a mix up with O2 and it wasn’t my fault. As exhaustion set in I began to falter. The O2 dream began to slip away.

The fatal blow was landed when they asked if I was still within my 14-day cancellation period.

Weary and defeated I meekly answered ‘Yes’.

I called O2 to abort my short lived contract.

They couldn’t find my account. My O2 number wasn’t registered. Nothing had changed and the problem hadn’t been resolved.

I felt betrayed. I had gone up against the Disconnection Team of my existing provider not once but twice to try and join O2 and they had rewarded my endeavours with apathy and broken promises.

All of a sudden I felt relived. Whilst my existing provider may not be perfect they had delivered. O2 had not.

But Omy bitterness toward O2 was short lived for when I asked if I would be refunded my bill of £19.20 they replied ‘Of course’.

They did said it may, accidently, be taken out of my account but told me not to worry, just give them a call and they’ll refund it in full.

Disappointed but respectful I moved on.

Imagine then my dismay, confusion and disappointment when I called to claim my full refund after discovering that the money had, indeed, been taken out of my account only to be told that I would only receive £11.54.

Somehow O2 had seen fit to charge me £7.86 for my 13-day contract. A contract that was not realised only due to their inability to properly register a phone number to an account.

No calls made (except to the internal O2 number) no data used.

Please read this tale and be warned that even when they completely mess things up, it is still you who will have to pay even when they promise you that you won’t!!

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Smac79
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I recently posted (**Personal info**) about how my escape attempt from my current provider to the welcoming and convivial arms of O2 was scuppered by O2 themselves and the fact that they then charged me for it.

My post was the product of both time and frustration and I must admit I didn’t hold out much hope of hearing those hard worked for pennies ever again jangling musically within my pocket.

But I was mistaken for, wandering through this community like a virtual Ronin, was Marjo, the O2 community manager.

After reading my post and displaying an immunity to hyperbole and terrible grammar on a superhuman scale Marjo dropped me a message and asked if I would mind if they passed my details to the O2 Platinum Guru Team to see if there was anything they could do. With nothing to lose and hope in my heart I agreed.

Within the hour my phone buzzed.

I can only guess that they are named ‘Platinum Gurus’ due to the splendour of their armour such was the helpfulness and assistance provided by these noble O2 Knights. My Guru was named Steve and after a few pleasantries he explained what the problem had been and promised the return of my shanghaied pennies.

My previous calls with O2 had been an interminable round of being placed on hold and passed around from operator to operator, with an average call time of 20 minutes (albeit with very likable and friendly operators who seemed to be genuinely trying). But Guru Steve was able to assist me in an impressive 8 minutes.

It is often the case that we are always quick to take to the message boards to vent our frustration and ire when we feel we have been let down or treated unfairly and rightly so.

But we are all too often silent when the representatives of the organisation which has provoked our wrath go out their way to put right a wrong and restore the organisations reputation.

Though it is now unfortunately too late for me to realise my O2 ambition and whilst I haven’t yet received the money back (I was told it would take a maximum of 2 weeks but probably sooner) I have renewed hope that this time O2 won’t let me down.

My thanks and gratitude to Marjo for getting in touch and passing my details onto the Platinum Guru Team and to Guru Steve, for getting calling me so quickly, explaining clearly and concisely what had happened and what would be done and most importantly not putting me on hold!

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22939 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Very amusing @Smac79. Too bad your experience wasn't better. Had you come to the community before you embarked on your journey you might have had more success. We hear of problems like yours all the time. It's possible that someone here might have been able to help. Unfortunately, O2 customer service isn't what it used to be. The money you lost isn't a great amount, but you shouldn't have been charged a penny. 

Edit: I'm not certain how much good it would do you, but you could also lodge a complaint: https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

A very nice post to read but at the outset, just seeing the thread title, we knew what was coming! Welcome to O2 where, when things go ass up, no one is actually bothered. You are better off in the clutches of EE who promise then deliver. Breath O2 but exhale immediately as Oxygen can be toxic under certain regular instances.

Any chance of looking at this @Martin-O2 @Marjo @EmilieT ?

Message 3 of 15

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

What a sorry tale @Smac79

For some, things go well...for others when they go wrong, they are compounded by getting worse

Do as @Bambino mentioned and make a complaint. No reason O2 should have your money due to their appalling incompetence slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry to hear of your problem @Smac79 as have had similar issues myself in the past when porting my number but I do have to applaud your thoroughly entertaining and amusing post.

Bravo Sir!

Message 5 of 15

Smac79
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Thank you Techtamer, much appreciated, i’ll Definitely be making a formal complaint. Just needed an outlet for my frustration!
Message 6 of 15

Smac79
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Thanks Cleoriff, I’ll definitely be making a formal complaint
Message 7 of 15

Smac79
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Cheers Jonsie
Message 8 of 15

Smac79
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Thanks for the link Bambino. Unfortunately I only stumbled across the community whilst looking up the O2 customer service number but now I know. Cheers
Message 9 of 15

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Smac79 welcome to our forum! Sorry to hear about your poor experience with this. 😞 I'm going to drop you a PM (private message here on the forum) to discuss further and see if we can help you sort this out!

Thanks for the tag @jonsiethumbsup

Message 10 of 15