Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g

JonathanB
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I changed to a sim only contract and bought a apple iphone 12. The advisor in store said i can add the 5g bolt on once I get the phone. Now I’m being told I can’t? Can I add 5g to a sim only contract? The website suggests you can.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Hagadol1
  • 9 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I seem to be asking the same question and getting different answers in store and on the 

phone to Customer Service.

I have a Sim only contract, which is out of contract.

I have ordered an iPhone 12 Pro Max from Apple, arriving in about 2 weeks.

In the O2 store the assistant told me that not all existing sim only contracts can be used for

5G just by changing to a 5G sim and that mine could not.  On this thread someone has 

disagreed with that opinion. 

Given that the iPhone 12 is duel sim, I would like to have O2 on a 5G software Sim and using the

physical sim for a 2nd account.  Is this possible ?

Given that thousnads of their clients have exisiting sim only contracts and have ordered the

new iPhone  12 you would that the assistants are uniformly trained on this and that clear information

would be on the website.

Thanks in advance for comments !

Message 11 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Hagadol1 

All current simo contracts are 5g compatible, how long have you had yours?

It's worth looking at the latest deals as they may be cheaper than if you've had the same tariff for a couple of years.

Either way, you just need to request an eSim pack for your account from any o2 store or by calling O2 Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 13

Hagadol1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have been out of contract for over a year.  I will check the new deals.

Message 13 of 13