Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g ready

5Greadyphones
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
So i want to know how, it will work if i get the note 10 plus 5G ready will i have to buy another sim when 5G have been released in my area or not?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

@5Greadyphones 

The note on the handset says yes.

Message 2 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@5Greadyphones 

O2 have not announced officially how there 5g network and tariffs will work yet. 

We expect that a specific 5g tariff will need to be purchased and O2 have said that any customer can upgrade immediately to one, once the information has been released.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 6

AnnieM
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 114 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

You will need to switch to a 5G sim and a 5G tariff as they are all currently 4G. 

However, I don’t know how it will work in practice re upgrading a new 4G contract to the new 5G tariff and whether it will require paying off the device cost as you would do for any other upgrade. Someone better informed will be able to answer that.  [EDIT: @MI5 beat me to posting about that above.]

As it’s all happening this month, are you able to just wait a couple of weeks and get straight on to the 5G plan?

Message 4 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions
@5Greadyphones Unless you're living in an area that's designated for the initial rollout, I wouldn't be in a great rush to switch to 5G. It will take years for 5G to cover the country, and as it becomes more widespread, tariffs will come down, as well as the price of 5G phones.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 6

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Dunno, a couple of years ago I thought the amount of good quality cheap Chinese phones would make the big boys like samsung bring prices down from the then £699 price they were at, just 3-4 years later and they seem to have doubled..
I'm in an area due to recieved the "by the end of 2019" 5g update so will look at the options once they come available.
I suspect O2s recent "unlimited" tariff is a taster, as on 5g you could quite easily burn through a 20gb tariff in about 6 minutes if you really tried hard enough. Likewise I suspect those who bought a 5g device will be offered a tariff upgrade similar to how you can increase data amounts already, you'll probably log on, and instead of just higher amounts, you'll get option for 5g as well, well that would make most sense.
Message 6 of 6