Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G

Jim44
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
When I recently changed my contract I got a new 5G compatible sim and I now have an iPhone 12. I live in Glasgow. Is there any point in putting the 5G sim in my new phone ?
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Jim44 

No one knows but O2 and they don't tell us 😞

You can still do the sim swap now though if you wish as your phone will still work on 4G until you get a 5G signal.

Entirely up to you.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Jim44 

You can check here if your area has 5g or not O2 Service Status

If it has, you'll need to do a sim swap from your old sim to activate the new one Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Jim44
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks, seems like there’s no 5G where I am, is there any way to find out when it might be available ?
Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Jim44 

No one knows but O2 and they don't tell us 😞

You can still do the sim swap now though if you wish as your phone will still work on 4G until you get a 5G signal.

Entirely up to you.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

Jim44
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks, really helpful
Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You're welcome

Currently using:
Message 6 of 7

terminusaquo
  • 24 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

In Swindon only one single mast has been upgraded at the moment, but I've put the 5G SIM into my phone so that it's ready when it's available everywhere. If it's any consolation even London has patchy 5G coverage right now.

Message 7 of 7