Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G or not 5G. That is my question.

UkSparky
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

After receiving a text notification last week that O2 contractors were working in my area the latter part of last week ( the usual "your signal may come and go" text ) I received another one late on Saturday morning that the problem had been fixed.

I promptly rebooted my handset ( I do out of habit once a day ) lo and behold there was a "5G" data marker next to my signal strength.

That was sneaky, I thought, according to all the info I can find there's no mention of 5G in my postcode area, ME12. I did a speed test, via the my network app and another online one, but the data speeds I'm getting are only comparable with 4G. This is with full signal strength.

So my question is, am I "actually" connected to a 5G Tx? Or are O2 messing with the tech so it's actually 4G masquerading as 5G?

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144078 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@UkSparky 

It will be undergoing tests for a while so keep checking your speeds and you should start to see some improvement.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 144078 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@UkSparky 

It will be undergoing tests for a while so keep checking your speeds and you should start to see some improvement.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 5

UkSparky
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks. The app does state that Engineers will be working in my area again on 5th & 9th of this month so that sounds entirely plausible.

Message 3 of 5

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10123 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2995 Solutions

@UkSparky 

You can't masquerade 5G as 4G, as they use different bands, and yes the speed can be the same as 4G, as there are multiple factors at play such as Radio Tx Power, Available Backhaul. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 144078 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

You're welcome @UkSparky 

Currently using:
Message 5 of 5