Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G network not loading on Samsung S21

Andy_Marsman
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, both my Samsung S21 5G and iPhone PRO 5G connect to 5G networks but do not load apps, games or Internet. At best I would say 4x slower than 4G. The Samsung does not allow me to turn 5G off on it's own. I miss messages and can't use Google maps to find customers etc. I know the tech is fairly new but tempted to sell this phone and go back to 4G. Any advice?

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11959 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1119 Solutions

You can try getting replacement sims for both phones @Andy_Marsman in case they are faulty, but I doubt both would fail at the same time.

o2's 5G network can be a little patchy due to the amount of cover and the number of users. Typical fixes include dropping back down to either 4 or 3G if possible (fewer people using it means better speed) but if those aren't an option it won't help.

See if there is anything else in the below that helps:

Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

Guide: Is the network down for me or everyone? 

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

gmarkj
  • 11959 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1119 Solutions

You can try getting replacement sims for both phones @Andy_Marsman in case they are faulty, but I doubt both would fail at the same time.

o2's 5G network can be a little patchy due to the amount of cover and the number of users. Typical fixes include dropping back down to either 4 or 3G if possible (fewer people using it means better speed) but if those aren't an option it won't help.

See if there is anything else in the below that helps:

Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

Guide: Is the network down for me or everyone? 

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 2 of 5

Andy_Marsman
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the reply. I think the 5G masts must be using a weak or poor signal in rural areas. I struggle most in Ipswich, Colchester and Chelmsford (outside town centre). I have spoken to some other people today who say the same. Sadly you can't disable 5G on the Samsung S21 / Android mobiles without disabling 4G as well, unless there are some advanced settings that someone can put my way?

Message 3 of 5

Enlli
Level 64: Magistrate
  • 6132 Posts
  • 47 Topics
  • 1425 Solutions

I'm surprised you say you can't disable 5G on your S21. You certainly can on my S20+ running Android 12. Seems a downgrade.

Screenshot_20220518-214725_Call settings.jpg

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 5

gmarkj
  • 11959 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1119 Solutions

@Andy_Marsman wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I think the 5G masts must be using a weak or poor signal in rural areas. I struggle most in Ipswich, Colchester and Chelmsford (outside town centre). I have spoken to some other people today who say the same. Sadly you can't disable 5G on the Samsung S21 / Android mobiles without disabling 4G as well, unless there are some advanced settings that someone can put my way?

5G does use a lower power signal (or at least, wavelengths with less ability to penetrate buildings and obstacles) than other bands. This means that the signal is generally poorer than with the "older" bands and a need for more masts.

Message 5 of 5