Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Sim Swap

RachieMoose
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have received my iPhone 12 Pro Max today and along with the phone I have received a 5G enabled sim.
When I spoke to the advisor when upgrading he said that I wouldn’t need a new sim yet as there is no 5G in my area, I asked him if I should get a new sim anyway so that I was ready for 5G when it is rolled out in my area and he said not to because there is a £5 a month extra charge for 5G.
I wasn’t expecting the new sim to arrive with the phone and I’m now concerned that if I do the sim swap that I will be charged a monthly fee even so there is no 5G in my area.
Does anyone know if this is the case or if it is something you need to add on to your tariff when 5G becomes available in my area?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@RachieMoose 

Complete rubbish.

Just do the sim swap so you are ready

Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@RachieMoose There is no extra charge for a 5G sim. Stick with your existing sim if there's no 5G in your area. It could take years before there is: O2 Network Coverage Checker | 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G Coverage

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Martin-O2 @Marjo @LukasB 

More training required......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions
Sounds like someone has been working for Sky Mobile as they charge £5 for 5G...
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
It's difficult enough for customers currently without having to deal with incompetence too.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 7

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I seem to remember that when O2 introduced 5G there were special more expensive 5G tariffs before they made all the new tariffs 5G standard?

There again, my brain isn't what it was!

Message 7 of 7