Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4s on 2 year contract, past 1 year warranty but not usable - nobody will fix

AndyTheAnimal
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a 4s that still has about 5 months to run on a 2 year contract. I am past Apple's 1 year warranty and O2 won't touch it. I either need to dish out £139 for a refurbed replacement from Apple or live with a handset that I cannot use that I am still paying my monthly contract on.

O2 say that I pay for the SIM and nobody can offer me a resolution that won't put me substantially out of pocket. Why am I paying for something that I cannot use!!!

This must be a fairly regular 'trap' for consumers to fall in to. Has anyone else, what did you do to resolve etc. I O2 had told me that during year to I would have no warranty, I wouldn't have taken out the contract. I've been in to O2 shops and tried calling them but to no avail.

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apple only give 1 year warrenty unless you choose to buy it. Other devices offer a 2 year warrenty. O2 cant replace every faulty Apple device. The usual advice is to go to Apple who generally will offer you the one off payment and you can have a replacement device. 

your other option is to buy out onto a Refresh deal and take a non Apple device or purcahse Apple Care at £48.99approx.

Hope it helps

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apple only give 1 year warrenty unless you choose to buy it. Other devices offer a 2 year warrenty. O2 cant replace every faulty Apple device. The usual advice is to go to Apple who generally will offer you the one off payment and you can have a replacement device. 

your other option is to buy out onto a Refresh deal and take a non Apple device or purcahse Apple Care at £48.99approx.

Hope it helps

Message 2 of 11

AndyTheAnimal
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for your comments and I understand O2s point, however that still leaves myself as the customer footing the bill for something that doesn't work which is poor. Anyone been able to get around this with Apple/O2 without paying?
Message 3 of 11

Rycal
  • 435 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 47 Solutions

@AndyTheAnimal wrote:
Thanks for your comments and I understand O2s point, however that still leaves myself as the customer footing the bill for something that doesn't work which is poor. Anyone been able to get around this with Apple/O2 without paying?

I take it you chose not to take the insurance? That option is always there for customers when upgrading or taking out a new contract, its entirely your decision but these are the risks you take when opting out of it. You have a standard warranty which covers manufacturing defects however when that expires you are essentially on your own.

I work for O2 but my comments and opinions posted here are solely my own and do not reflect those of Telefonica.

Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
What is the fault ?
Message 5 of 11

AndyTheAnimal
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
wifi hardware failure. Yes, it still works as a phone but what %age of iphone functionality is now no longer available (given I also don't get 3G where I am!)
Message 6 of 11

AndyTheAnimal
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I didn't but likewise O2 didn't make me aware of this period of no support. I naively assumed that as I was paying a contract, I'd be covered.
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just shows how much faith Apple has in it's products quality & what it really thinks about it's customers with the 12 month warranty.

There are plenty of other phone manufacturers who offer 2 year warrantys on the handset as standard.

Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did you get to the stage of booking an actual Genius Bar appointment ??

I've known apple help even when the idevice is out of warranty and no apple care purchased
Message 9 of 11

AndyTheAnimal
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yes, three of them. It is officially goosed after multiple resets and firmware resets etc.
Message 10 of 11