cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G uses more data than 3G

Anonymous
Not applicable

I upgraded to the O2 4G service and now less than half way through the month I have used up my 1GB of data. Now I know what you will think "you dowloaded more data this month". Well actually this is afr from the truth. I have not used the phone any different from how I used it in the last 24 months on 3G. And during the last 24 months my iGB data usage has never been fully used. 

OK, so I know I have not done anything different (apart from now it's 4G and not 3G) - so does that mean that 4G uses up your data quicker. 

This month, I have NOT downloaded any videos or audios, I have not used skype on teh 4G network, and used any data hungry application.

Anyone else have experienced this?

Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49

anticpated
  • 3417 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

You could use data compression with Opera or a later version of Chrome (I think it uses it). In fact, I think all major WebKit based browser should do it. 

Indubitably true. Samsung S21 Ultra and Xiaomi 14 Ultra
Message 31 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm generally rational about this sort of thing and I realise the basic fact that 4G is a faster connection therefor it's downloading more information than 3G much faster but... I had an iphone 5 up until a month ago and never once came close to my allowance. In the 2 weeks I've had a phone with 4G enabled I've met my 2Gb allowance and had to up my tarriff to be able to use data based apps on my phone... That means pretty much all the functions except basic calls and SMS which only worked intermitently... Is this normal? I'm with 02 and this years sales technique is to split the bill between the phone and the tarriff, I don't have a problem with that but I can remember paying £75 a month a few years ago for an unlimited service with no hidden extras... last year I was paying £37 for 'unlimited' and my bills were never south of £80 because they stopped including MMS and local rate calls and this year, 2 weeks in to my new £48 per month contract, I've had to increase my data usage 3 times with no chage to my usage patern... Not only that, when i called 02 after they cut off my data unanounced, they were too busy to even take the call... all f-ing day. It's my fault for having an iphone I suppose but at least they are making a new series of twin peaks. 

Message 32 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous and Welcome to the Community.

Their has been a few iphone users who have reported higher than normal data usage than before.

I put together an iOS 8 Battery Saving Tips post which doubles up in parts as Data Saving too. Perhaps take a look http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-topic/iOS-8-Battery-Saving-Tips/m-p/759681/highlight/true#M33337

iOS 7 option here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/iOS-7-Battery-Saving-Tips/m-p/530730/highlight/true#M110898

I'm a Payg Customer with 2GB of Data on the iPhone 6 Plus iOS 8.0.2 with no sign fortunately of excessive Data usage.

You could have a diagnostic run on the iPhone via an Apple shop if you have one local and by appointment here http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/

The iPhone does have a built in data counter under Settings -> Mobile -> and look at the Apps at the bottom.

If you've not used this before then you'll have to reset the stats and then watch it for a month (billing period).

Each app will show what Data it uses.

On a Contract O2 'used' to let Internet connection continue at a snails pace, but no more I'm afraid. After your data allowance is exhausted they will stop connection until your next anniversary date or until you add a Data Bolt On.

If you use FaceBook then it's an idea to turn off Auto View of Videos in its settings.

As an experiment You could try your SIM card in another 4G Compatable phone for a month if you have an alternative non iPhone to see if your usage changes. O2 Stores keep sim adapters in house free to make your nano sim into a micro or standard sized one. You may have to call O2 to be taken off the idata settings so your internet works ok. A bit of a mess around but could be helpful in the long run.

To check your masts put your postcode here http://status.o2.co.uk if your calls and texts are working "intermittently "

A good self help thread is here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Self-help-guide-Is-the-network-down-for-me-or-everyone/m-p/593752#M59833

Would you let us know how you get on please.
Message 33 of 50

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149078 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28464 Solutions
It's a very common iPhone issue reported across many networks and all countries.
Until Apple do something about it, there is nothing you can do unfortunately.
The only option is to use a non Apple phone if the bug has hit you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 34 of 50

jonsie
  • 93928 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7017 Solutions

I do believe this is an Apple issue but I'm at a loss why it doesn't affect everyone. Maybe this is why Apple won't acknowledge it as their problem.

Message 35 of 50

MI5
  • 149078 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28464 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Maybe this is why Apple won't acknowledge it as their problem.

But as we've said before, they should at least investigate it thoroughly.......?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 36 of 50

jonsie
  • 93928 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7017 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

Maybe this is why Apple won't acknowledge it as their problem.

But as we've said before, they should at least investigate it thoroughly.......?

I couldn't agree more and as good as their customer service is Apple fall down badly with this issue.

Message 37 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm sure their organisation are looking into this conundrum.

As you have already stated (many times) some are affected as supported by people making posts across the forums ,and some are not.

I've personally not seen anything specifically carried out by official tests apart from end users thoughts.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall in their iOS Department to see what is being discussed ,but as we are ALL not in the loop we can only surmise.
Message 38 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've read all the threads in this and towards the end the opinion appears to be that this excessive data use is a problem with Apple devices operating system or poor set up on Aps with other devises. I have been considering the purchase of a New Samsung Note 4 to take advantage of 4G as I am currently running a Samsung S3. Every time I discuss this with an O2 sales person I am told I will need to up my data bundle as 4G uses more data but they cannot give me a technical reason why, it just does and read the forums!!! I dont regard this as acceptable and is effectivly misleading the end user, so I am hoping that O2 monitors these threads and will get someone who knows the workings of 4G in technical detail to answer this.

I have been in the industry for more years than I care to recall so I appreciate the comments made by some here but as mentioned the data level required to download a 2Mb file will be the same on 3G or 4G its only the time to do this that will vary.

I realise many people who buy mobile phones these days don't have a clue as to how they work and I suppose it doesn't matter. However, when they are effectivly being fooled into buying things like the iphone on marketing hype then picking up large bills this cannot be right.

If I cannot get a correct technical answer on this extra data usage on 4G I will not be upgrading anytime soon and I believe O2 is damaging its future profitability if it does not provide a reasoned answer to this problem.

Lets hope someone at O2 will take this onboard.

Rob

Message 39 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
4g doesn't use more data @robh666.
Users use more data because they do things online quicker and therefore spend more time online and use more data doing so.

O2 also compress their data services write significantly. From my tests by about 3.5 to 1 giving a poorer quality picture overall. There is a way round this via apn settings but this will increase your data usage.
Message 40 of 50