Did you mean: 

4G data in Leeds City Walk - LS11 - useless

ajm_
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

4G is useless in LS11 9AR.

I have full 4G signal all day every day. But, data services over that signal often do not work. If they work, they are incredibly slow. Voice services work fine (but not voice mail, which I guess requires the data connection.)

It's not my phone because the minute I leave LS11 it's fine. For example, it's fine in LS1, LS2 and LS6 where I live. Colleagues on O2 have similar issues to me in the building. It's as if the back-haul conncetivity from the cell supporting LS11 9AR is congested.

Tried reporting it to O2 via customer services but they always seem to think my SIM is faulty, despite me pointing out that SIM cards do not go faulty in certain areas, or that my colleagues SIMs are suddenly faulty too.

If someone from O2 is reading, help ???

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23034 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

This is a customer to customer forum. Have you checked your local mast? http://status.o2.co.uk/

If this problem is indoors, O2, nor any other provider will guarantee a signal. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lack of 4G coverage?

I struggle to get 3G coverage in many places and when i do its so slow to the point of being useless!!

There are a lot of supposed "congestion" issues at the minute.

Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I go into that postcode too and also find it slow.

Most probably mast congestion as O2 upgrade their infrastructure.
Message 4 of 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93156 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Mast congestion is a big problem all round the country at the moment. However if it's just indoors, many things such as material, construction etc can affect the signal and O2 or any other network can't determine that you will get good signal strength indoors.

Message 5 of 13

Bambino
  • 23034 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

This mast congestion excuse that O2 has been using for some time now is getting tiring. I think that with the introduction of 4G, data use has increased to a point where the masts can't handle it, and even though O2 are in the process of upgrading masts, they've been caught with their pants down, and this is going to go on for a long time to come.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 13

ajm_
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Didn't realise this was a c2c forum. I just registered in pure furstration to vent some anger.

It's not an indoor problem, I can stand otuside and it's just as bad. I can stand right by the bloody mast on Jack Lane:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Leeds,+West+Yorkshire+LS11+9AR/@53.7866321,-1.5520994,3a,75y,202...

Status Checker always, helpfully, tells me the network is fine.

*sigh*

Message 7 of 13

ajm_
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm not sure it is a mast congestion issue per se, signal is bang on. Although, when the problem is occuring, I do notice the 4G thing on my phone flip out a bit and bounce between full and none for a SPLIT second now and again. But on the whole the signal bars on my phone are stable.

It's as if it either can't transport the data packets upstream to the main network, or the phone is struggling for an IP address on the network.

I've noticed when it's having an issue my data usage goes through the roof. I''ve been on a 750Mb contract for best part of a year. Suddenly, since this problem, I burn through 750Mb in a week.

Message 8 of 13

Bambino
  • 23034 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

There's not much else anyone can tell you here. O2 seem happy to offer massive 4G tariffs, but many people just can't use it. Only thing you can do is complain to O2. The How To Complain link at the bottom of the page will direct you how to do that.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I commute through LS11 and basically my signal flips from 4G to gprs most of the time.
Message 10 of 13