Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G calling on S7

dougwzz98
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 35 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I've just activated WiFi and 4G calling on my Samsung S7 Edge. It all seems to be active, the My O2 app says it's on, and I have activated the 'WiFi calling' and '4G calling' toggle switches in Settings.

However I've noticed that when not connected to WiFi (i.e. on the cellular connection) as soon as I start a call the 4G icon in the status bar immediately drops back to H+ and stays like that for the whole call. As soon as the call finishes it goes back to 4G.

So do I really have 4g calling active? Anyone else seeing this behaviour?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought H+ was the equivalent of 4G

Message 2 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It can take up to 24 hours to activate and you need to reboot the phone too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 13

dougwzz98
  • 35 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I activated it 3 days ago so well past the 24 hour limit. Reboot makes no difference. Any other S7 users on 4G calling seeing the same thing, or does your 4G icon remain constant during a call?
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dougwzz98 Maybe you need to call customer service 

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Message 5 of 13

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
4g will remain when making a call.
Try removing the option in your MyO2 and re applying it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 13

dougwzz98
  • 35 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Tried deactivating, waiting until the O2 page confirmed deactivation, then reactivating. Multiple reboots of the phone, and setting the WiFi / 4G toggles in setting on and off then on again. No change, still seeing the same behaviour. 

I'll leave it a day or so just in case something needs to settle down, although I can't see what that might be. Might pop in to an O2 shop and have a word, would be useful to actually see what icons are supposed to be displayed (or not!) when WiFi/4G calls are being made.

Message 7 of 13

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
As far as I know, you will just see 4g on the screen and wifi call when connected to a usable wifi hotspot.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 13

dougwzz98
  • 35 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I may be misunderstanding how WiFi/4G calling works. Having done some research it looks like it will only become active in locations where the regular cellular voice signal is poor or non-existent. I assumed it would take precedence over the regular voice signal but it seems that it does not. if this is true it would explain why it is not working for me as I'm in an area with a strong regular voice signal.

Is this correct, does WiFi/4G calling only activate where there is no cellular voice signal?

Message 9 of 13

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
On mine, wifi calling takes precedence if connected to a voip capable wifi hotspot.
4g calling is automatic if in a 4g enabled area.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 13