Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G and all the myths!

HHGTTG
Level 3: Thinker
  • 99 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Since changing my tariff to one of the Big Bundles, mainly to get more texts and some minutes, I am now able to get 4G also but apart from initial madness and several bandwidth measurements using a downloaded App (now uninstalled), I seem to be using more of my 500MB monthly allowance than is comfortable.

I don't use the mobile network  much, only daily checks on weather, BBC news and checking email but each time the mobile connection is turned off afterwards. I am also convinced that my battery isn't lasting so long between charges.

I have now gone back to WCDMA(preferred)/GSM and will monitor my usage etc.

Is all this in my imagination? I know from Google searching that much is written about all that I have said here.

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Lots of analogies but the result is still the same....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 31 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've tried to tell countless people what a waste 4G is.....the only benefit is for those who wish to stream Ultra HD on their small non Ultra HD handsets!!

Turning 4G off will vastly improve battery performance, increase signal strength on 2G and 3G, reduce the number of missed/dropped calls and minimise the risk of exceeding data allowance.

Got to disagree.

Even streaming videos off of You Tube on 4G results in better picture quality and faster playback start due to the much faster connection, than been on a slower connection such as 3G. And with 4G been as standard on tariffs its not as if customers have to pay more for a 4G service. Personally though, you can get faster 4G speeds on EE (their double speed 4G is included on all but their £10 per month pay and go everything pack).

Also, phones will flick to 3G or 2G if the coverage disappears on 4G. If you drop calls when your phone does this, I would say its network related. Some networks are faster at switching to another connection type than other networks. However, I did used to find that sometimes with O2, that when I lost 3G, I could sometimes drop calls, but would have a strong 2G signal, so it wasn't as if I was in a no coverage area. Since moving to EE back in August, I haven't had one dropped call.

Also, with 4G, you can much faster check emails for example, so the time needed to have the screen on your phone lit, is much shorter, thus saving battery life

Nowadays, people use data on their smartphones a lot, video streaming, music streaming, and turning off 4G (if you have it) can make doing these things less reliable (eg, buffering) on some mobile networks. Although I hasten to add, I have been able to stream video and music with no problems since I moved to EE on 3G, its just I find 4G is much faster. Trying to do these things on 3G with O2 (couldn't get 4G in my area on O2) well I could forget it. If I could have got 4G on O2, then chances are, I would have been able to.

Message 32 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

Leaving 4G turned off results in my handset displaying H+ most of the time....I have no issues whatsoever streaming a youtube video at 1080p and experience no delay in waiting for the video to play. In fact, every day on my drive to work i use TuneIn Radio and have never experienced buffering or quality issues.

Everyone uses their handsets differently so if 4G is better for you then great.

Message 33 of 42

HHGTTG
  • 99 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Curr946 wrote:
It's a bit like the tail of the tone of feathers V the tone of rocks

What on earth is a tone of feathers........................?

Message 34 of 42

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
A tonne, I presume?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 35 of 42

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Auto correct smart donkey slight_smile
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 36 of 42

HHGTTG
  • 99 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Well, I put my phone back to WCDMA/GSM and honestly, for my needs can see very little differences I am not denying that it is slower but it is of no significance for my daily use of checking emails, updating BBC weather App etc.

Others here of course apparently need the lightning speeds of 4G but H+ has never stopped me from watching the very occasional video on Youtube or the BBC News live. My limitations are the measly 500MB data allowance on PAYG £10/month. Surely there must come a time when the mobile Telcos realise that people should be given more for the price they pay? Why not unlimited?

Message 37 of 42

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@HHGTTG wrote:
Why not unlimited?

Because if everyone had unlimited (and used it fully) the network would grind to a halt and no one would be able to do anything.

There is only so much bandwidth available for everyone.

Currently using:
Message 38 of 42

HHGTTG
  • 99 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@HHGTTG wrote:
Why not unlimited?

Because if everyone had unlimited (and used it fully) the network would grind to a halt and no one would be able to do anything.

There is only so much bandwidth available for everyone.

True but I would like twice what I am getting at the moment to save me keep on checking my usage but I certainly don't intend paying 50% more in order to get that.

Message 39 of 42

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
You can get 1gb for £10 on giffgaff.

Currently using:
Message 40 of 42