Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G and all the myths!

HHGTTG
Level 3: Thinker
  • 99 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Since changing my tariff to one of the Big Bundles, mainly to get more texts and some minutes, I am now able to get 4G also but apart from initial madness and several bandwidth measurements using a downloaded App (now uninstalled), I seem to be using more of my 500MB monthly allowance than is comfortable.

I don't use the mobile network  much, only daily checks on weather, BBC news and checking email but each time the mobile connection is turned off afterwards. I am also convinced that my battery isn't lasting so long between charges.

I have now gone back to WCDMA(preferred)/GSM and will monitor my usage etc.

Is all this in my imagination? I know from Google searching that much is written about all that I have said here.

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

I may have 'limited' knowledge of such things but here you go. 4G is fast when I use it here....However..I can't get it where I am in Spain...and 3G is just as fast. There you go. A conundrum..:smileytongue:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 42

HHGTTG
  • 99 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Speed is not that important to me. I don't stream anything and am not out in the big wide world gasping to watch something on a piddling screen so I've switched my Sony Xperia Z3C back to 3G/GSM. Now I'll see how my data allowance gets used up together with battery life. 

Message 12 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@HHGTTG wrote:

Speed is not that important to me. I don't stream anything and am not out in the big wide world gasping to watch something on a piddling screen so I've switched my Sony Xperia Z3C back to 3G/GSM. Now I'll see how my data allowance gets used up together with battery life. 

That made me smile @HHGTTG I don't 'stream anything to watch on a piddling screen either'.....LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 42

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
It makes no difference to data use at all (except how you use the data).
1mb is 1mb regardless of you being connected to 3g or 4g, just the same as 1 second is 1 second regardless if you have a digital or analogue watch.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 42

HHGTTG
  • 99 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
It makes no difference to data use at all (except how you use the data).
1mb is 1mb regardless of you being connected to 3g or 4g, just the same as 1 second is 1 second regardless if you have a digital or analogue watch.

Have you Googled possible reasons for observed differences in data usage, battery life etc? I have and things aren't so clear cut as you claim. 

Message 15 of 42

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
With respect mate, I don't need to Google anything.
Battery life will be effected if the 4g signal is perceived to be weaker, by the phone, as it will be searching more (that's how phones work) and 1mb is 1mg regardless of what Google says - I will conceded though that for a set period of time you would download more mb's but purely because it's faster.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 42

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

1 plus of 4g is the frequencies in use by o2 they are less effected by the environment than traditional 3G so they have greater range, enter structures better and have the speed edge over 3g.

But as always there are the downsides like increased battery usage in fringe areas as it hunts for best signal / speed (depending on device)

Just to remind everyone the lower the frequency in MHz the better the range (so if 700 MHz  is released next (DTV freeview) even further range than the now 800 MHz) EE using 1800MHz but higher frequencies have greater capacity 

I could go in depth but that is for a thread of its own.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 17 of 42

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
You should knock up a quick guide Adam as it still seems to cause some confusion for some......

Currently using:
Message 18 of 42

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I thought someone had done one ages ago! Was it by darrengf or similar will search .

Back

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/What-is-2G-3G-and-4G-New-Update-21st-Sept-2015/m...

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 19 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
You should knock up a quick guide Adam as it still seems to cause some confusion for some......

Ah but if that's me...I enjoy having any confusion cleared up. A saying not used much now....'You are never too old to learn' wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 42